:blink: i'm about to replace the cd-r/rw burner in my machine with a sony dru-710a dvd burner..i have not opened the case yet..but the last time i cleaned it out i remember the cd-r was on the same cable as the primary hard drive..i plan on connecting the new burner in place of the old..using the same connections...

i know how to set the jumper..but i'm unsure if i should un-install the old drive in device manager before i open up the case and install the new one..?? or if it makes a difference..

i'm running a 2.8ghz 512mb ram xpsp2 home machine..

thanx for any help..

wayne :unsure::)

If your running a newer version of windows I don't see how it could be a problem.

Plug out the power cable of the psu, open your case, locate your old burner. Remove the screws, unplug the molex and ide cable.

Take out the burner, make sure you take notice of how the jumper(s) are positioned.

Master, slave or cableselect..

Then place the jumper(s) of your new dvd drive to the same settings as your old drive, and then slot/plug everything back in.

Ow, and don't forget to read the manual before.

Good luck

Thanx kib_666..that's exactly what i did..as it turns out the cd-r drive i replaced was the master on the secondary channel..all by itself.. so the replacement went smoothly..xp detected the change with no problems..didn't even get the new hardware found wizard..after updating the sony's firmware and Nero6's software i'm good to go..

appreciate your response..

wayne :)