OK, I have no experience with this matter and an Older gentleman wants me to tell him what to do. He went out and bought a Laptop so when he travels he can still check his mail and get on the Internet. What is the best service he could use? I would think Satellite service but, is there other services that are good as well? He will be traveling to Alaska a lot of the time and then back to Colorado and sometimes to Arizona. He has a lot of money and wouldn't care about expense. So what's out there. I have just switched to Satellite service since it is the only broadband service I can get in my area. I know taking my dish with me would not be anything I would like to do, is that the case with all satellite or does a laptop use a different type wireless modem and or service? Yeah I have been in computers since 1982 and don't know anything about Internet services! Go figure.

Does he travel by RV? If so he could use satellite services. The dishes mount to the top of the RV. If he stays at motels/hotels/inns or etc. he could use wifi if there is any in the area. There are also cell phone modems (Sprint, T-Mobile and etc.) but these would be limited to certain areas (Alaska???).

The old evil standby is AOL. You can plug into any regular phone and use their 1-800 connection number. This is handy if you are only interested in retrieving email and surf the Internet plus it's available all over the world.

Does he travel by RV? If so he could use satellite services. The dishes mount to the top of the RV. If he stays at motels/hotels/inns or etc. he could use wifi if there is any in the area. There are also cell phone modems (Sprint, T-Mobile and etc.) but these would be limited to certain areas (Alaska???).

The old evil standby is AOL. You can plug into any regular phone and use their 1-800 connection number. This is handy if you are only interested in retrieving email and surf the Internet plus it's available all over the world.

Good questions, I will have to ask him. I know he has an RV and I also know he owns land(not sure of home) in Alaska. He also owns a commercial Fishing boat out there that he leases out. He has a license for 20,000 lbs of fish a year in Alaska and he doesn't even run the boat.

Thanks for the fast reply.

OK, I have no experience with this matter and an Older gentleman wants me to tell him what to do. He went out and bought a Laptop so when he travels he can still check his mail and get on the Internet. What is the best service he could use? I would think Satellite service but, is there other services that are good as well? He will be traveling to Alaska a lot of the time and then back to Colorado and sometimes to Arizona. He has a lot of money and wouldn't care about expense. So what's out there. I have just switched to Satellite service since it is the only broadband service I can get in my area. I know taking my dish with me would not be anything I would like to do, is that the case with all satellite or does a laptop use a different type wireless modem and or service? Yeah I have been in computers since 1982 and don't know anything about Internet services! Go figure.

Unless here's going to be in the boonies most of the time, a wifi card and an internet cafe would keep him connected. Most cities have hotspots.

If the laptop is new it will have built in wireless. Most cities will have a hotspot someplace. A google search will provide links to tools to wardriving. I don't promote this, but it happens. Many folks have unsecured access points in their homes. Most hotels any many McDonalds have wireless internet available also, pull in to the parking lot and connect. I would contact his cell phone company and look at an "air" card from his provider. I know Moto Razrs can connect to a laptop via usb, add data service to the cell plan and you now have the phone acting as a modem as long as you have cell service you have internet.

Just some ideas.

M

Now, to add a wee bit to Mike's post about hotels with wifi. The local Ramada here has wifi but the guest needs to use some sort of special password *or something* to access the internet (Daughter works there and her boss is a Geek, so I imagine he installed some anti-wardriving prevention thingy??)

BUT anyone who runs into that problem only needs to go into the bar for a soda and politely ask the front desk person about using the laptop and she or he *should* cheerfully offer the password *or whatever it is*....at least Daughter does :thumbsup: As she says, her boss pays the same rate no matter how many folks use the internet so why not?? (that is IF the person is polite!!)

Of course, even if there isn't any anti-wardriving protection in these areas, go in for a soda anyways--you'll give the place some business and hopefully have a comfy chair!

Liz

Edited by blim
Now, to add a wee bit to Mike's post about hotels with wifi. The local Ramada here has wifi but the guest needs to use some sort of special password *or something* to access the internet (Daughter works there and her boss is a Geek, so I imagine he installed some anti-wardriving prevention thingy??)

BUT anyone who runs into that problem only needs to go into the bar for a soda and politely ask the front desk person about using the laptop and she or he *should* cheerfully offer the password *or whatever it is*....at least Daughter does :thumbsup: As she says, her boss pays the same rate no matter how many folks use the internet so why not?? (that is IF the person is polite!!)

Liz

MANY local coffeshops, libraries, cafes, hotels, etc. offer free wifi. Some of the progressive cities actually offer district wide wifi (Phoenix not one of them, but neighboring Tempe /ASU does)

And if you can stomach their wretched coffee, most starbucks offer a paid wifi service.

Hotspots come in two flavors....Free and pay.

Free well some may have pop ups or banners.

Pay hotspots take your credit card info and you choose the amount of time you want. I know with many the clock starts the first time you log in and keeps running until the time runs out. Meaning if you buy 12 hours you can't go there 1 hour for 12 days.

M

Most truck stops offer Wifi now. (Some free some paid) I know some of the larger chains, Flying J for example, offer paid subscriptions that can be used at any of their stores nationwide.

Flying J charges $200/year and has Wifi hotspots in all there truck stops, as well as other places. linky

Even fast food chains are getting in on. (my Local mcdonalds has freee WIfi)

Edited by Bubba Bob