I'm about clueless on this one as I am trying to help a customer with this issue:

The customer has a XP computer that has 2 network cards. The computer is currently hooked up to the Windows 2000 server domain. While being hooked up to the domain, the customer wants to setup a workgroup connection to another XP computer, that is not currently a part of any domains or workgroup. I have tried setting it up as a peer-to-peer, using a crossover cable and Static IP address. But when I tried pinging the other host IP, I get destination host unknown nor I can see it on the network. Can I get some help on this? Thanks.

I am not certain you can both connect to a domain and use a workgroup connection simultaneously on the same computer. I am basing this assumption on the fact under settings, you have a choice to either join a domain, or join a workgroup. As soon as you join a domain the workgroup name gets grayed out.

Goto system properties, then the computer tab, then click on the "change" button, then choose "member of workgroup" instead of "member of domain". You will need to reboot. Now you can check to see if you are able to network your two computers using a workgroup. Make sure the other computer uses "workgroup" as its workgroup name. This is just a troubleshooting method to make sure your crossover cable connection is working.

Edited by shanenin

by defauly most routers are plug and play, meaning it will assign ip addresses to the machines it sees.

you can set the ip addresses of the machine manually if you want to log in to the remotely. check to see if the router you want to connect to does port forwarding, vnc and some other remote connect software requires port forwarding.

kinda got off the subject. look to what you want to do later before you buy now.

M