Ever Have This Happen?

For Christmas, I got a gift certificate to Amazon.com, which was quite handy. That same day, I log onto amazon, and place an order for a cd. I've ordered cds through them before, and usually have them shipped within a week. This time, they tell me it won't be at my house until January 10th. I assumed this was due to the huge post-holidays traffic they'd be getting. Well, the 10th came and went, and still no cd. So, I logged into my account, and it says it should be delivered by the 14th. Well, yesterday came and went without a cd. Finally this morning, I wake up and check my email, and I have something from Amazon. It's a letter stating that they have looked in all their 'sources' but they don't actually have the item to sell me. They have since pulled the item from their listings. :angry2:

I ended up trying to purchase the cd again through an 'Amazon Merchant' thus making it twice as expensive and no real guarantee on quality. Hopefully that one will arrive.

Anyway, this was just a little rant of mine. Even though they reimbursed me, I just find it a little unprofessional that the item was up for sale if they didn't even have it in the first place. I was also wondering if any of you have had a similar experience? Guess Amazon isn't always 100% reliable huh?

Matt

This also happened to me this year. I've ordered several items from them in the past. Around Nov.1st I ordered 4 items from them(early Christmas shopping). 3 arrived in a week. They gave me 3 different dates for the backordered item. Finally they said they don't know when it will be in stock and if I changed my mind, log in and check the cancel order option. I did that, adjusted my debit account, went out and bought something else. So guess what shows up at my door 2 days before Christmas? I'm just glad I had money in my account to cover the purchase

Mark

I didn't know they did this, but it's not shocking. They're not a bricks-and-mortar store where the items are either in the back or they're not. Do they even have warehouses full of product? Or do they order their stuff from elsewhere? I do believe any bricks-and-mortar they have are simply distribution points where incoming product is re-routed to its destination, hence, what you experienced. They don't really have any control over their suppliers inventory.