Hope I can explain this so bear with me!

My trial period of Mcafee Suite just expired on this new idiotbox. It contains AV, Firewall, Spamblocker and Privacy. Due to free-with rebates I have a brand new 2006 Mcafee Suite which I bought just before I got this new idiotbox (AV, Firewall, Spamblocker and Privacy--I only plan on using the AV and Firewall) It will have updates for a year so I figure it's as good as a 2007 model. I also have a newfangled thing--Mcafee AV and Firewall 2007 for three computers (bought it with Son's and Daughter's computers in mind and it was free with rebate).

Can I safely put the newfangled Mcafee AV/Firewall for 3 computers over the Mcafee Suite without problems or should I stick with installing the Suite over the Suite? In previous years, I've always purchased the suite and during installation it says,

"Oh, I see you have an older version of Mcafee Suite. Can I uninstall that and install the new version?" (something like that anyways!)

Mcafee no longer has forums so I don't know if anyone's had any problems installing one completely different flavor over another.

And yes, I like Mcrappie! Used it since 1999---Old ladies don't like learning curves :)

Thanks a bunch

Liz

I was thinking along those same lines, Shanenin; uninstalling the suite through Add/Remove Programs and then installing the "3-computer AV/Firewall Package", just in case it doesn't ask me if I want to uninstall the old version of the suite...

NOW, I have Cable internet which means "always on". Do you think I should unplug the Cable Modem when I do this so no cooties will infect my idiotbox while the old version is uninstalled and the new version is installing? Even though it's only about 10 minutes or so without protection (depending on how many times I need to read the installation instructions before they sink in!) I'm nervous about having the idiotbox unprotected for that amount of time. That's what I'm-a-thinking, whaddabout you?

Thanks!

Liz

Edited by blim

If you still have a system with Internet access you might go to McAfee's site first to find the correct uninstall procedure. Anti-virus, etc. programs insinuate themselves deep into the OS and may require more steps than just using the Add/Remove programs applet (or, you may wish to print out the manual steps in case the Add/Remove Programs applet causes problems like leaving stuff behind).

For example, there is this at their site:

To uninstall all McAfee 2005, 2006, or 2007 products with the removal tool (MCPR.exe):

Uninstalling using McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool

Note: This tool only works for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and Windows XP Service Pack 2 operating systems. This tool does not work for Windows 98 and ME systems.

Download the removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens...atches/MCPR.exe.

Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.

Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.

Double-click MCPR.exe.

Click Run. A Command Line window will be displayed, and then close automatically. Wait for a second Command Line window to be displayed. (Do not double-click MCPR.exe again.) The program will begin the cleanup.

Observe the installation, which could take several minutes. The following message will be displayed in the Command Line window:

The machine must reboot to complete the un-installation. Reboot now? [y.n]Press Y on the keyboard.

Wait for the computer to restart.

All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.

Hi Liz,

As others have said, disconnect from internet while switching.

Also do uninstall old before new one of most everything.

And the McAfee forums are still around, though may not be anymore help than their previous anemic responces from McAfee support was.

My first few tries to them did not work on my favorites link, but last one did so keep trying.

McAfee forums

I have heard that if you have had a suite, even if as I remember you saying once that you only used part of it, that you should always stay with the suite unless you totally completely uninstall it.

Upgrades to a suite supposedly were ok I have heard but not downgrades. Who knows...I just have read that. Unfortunately both Norton like I used to have, and McAfee have terrible reputations for uninstalling/installing their stuff.

I am sitting with two full years of McAfee suites in drawer (unused) due to my corrupted by Norton computer which wont co-operate with McAfee. I got both free..the latest (total protection) in case I did a reinstall...then I read it is the worst of all to install....so will probably just go get another F-Secure suite to have on hand for when old one expires. (Also have a 2006 Norton suite that computer wouldn't let me install!!!!) Sure a good thing they were all free with rebates!!! Still it is annoying!!! Grrrr!!!

Good luck with your coming session to do the security changeover.

Pat

God bless everyone

You found the Mcafee Forums, Pat!!?!! Thank you. I searched with no luck thought they were kaput (I hate the Mcafee Website nowadays, not user friendly like before)

Thank you! Putting that in my Favorites so it doesn't get lost again and going to read there now. Never joined but sure is a wealth of information!

Hmmm, as far as installation goes, we've never had a problem with that. I'm thinking it might be better to install the Suite I have and let the kids install the other Mcafee thing on their computers....as they're more techy than I am :D (yeah....mean-mom-dirty-trick, isn't it?)

heading off to read that link and thanks again!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

You are very welcome Liz, glad I could help you find the McAfee forums.

Sorry for late reply, seems like we are so busy plus sharing computer and trying to stay within the time alloted by dialup service here...one of these days I'm going to switch outfits!!!

Anyhow just bumping this up to see how it went with your upgrading to the new McAfee?

I hope it worked out ok for you.

Stay safe my friend.

Pat

God bless everyone

I am sooooo bad, Pat.....I was going to install the new critter last week, thinking,

"Do it during the first part of the week, so if something gets goofed up, I can hopefully resolve it before the kids come home from College, so they'll have a working computer on the weekend to do any necessary online homework." (so many College assignments are done online nowadays! And both kids planned on being home this weekend!)

The week flew by without me finding/making the time to do it. My goal is to definitely do it this week!!! Lord willing, that is! :)

Liz

I am sooooo bad, Pat.....I was going to install the new critter last week, thinking,

"Do it during the first part of the week, so if something gets goofed up, I can hopefully resolve it before the kids come home from College, so they'll have a working computer on the weekend to do any necessary online homework." (so many College assignments are done online nowadays! And both kids planned on being home this weekend!)

The week flew by without me finding/making the time to do it. My goal is to definitely do it this week!!! Lord willing, that is! :)

Liz

I'm curious Liz.

Why do you want that bloatware on your computer when there are better, smaller free security apps?