R.i.p. Gerald Ford

Growing up in Grand Rapids Michigan in the 50's and 60's Mr Ford was my Congressman...He appointed my older cousin to the Military Academy at West Point..and while he did not have an opening for me when I was appointed..he was very helpful in getting me my appointment to the academy thru our State Senator...I had numerous correspondences from him as a high schooler and met him briefly during the nomination process for the academy...He was a true Midwestern gentle man..

After watching his funeral today..it was refreshing to see a politician shown so much respect for his character...integrity and personal courage..I could not help but reflect on how much more and better this country would be if their were more Gerry Fords' around to entrust the running of our great country..!

God Bless Gerry Ford.. may he rest in Peace..

Edited by screi

Being a Michigander, I must also chime in and say "Rest in Peace, Mr. Ford and thank you!" And what a sense of humor he had! Shortly after he died, MSNBC had a "block" containing an interview with Chevy Chase who mocked him constantly falling and tripping when he was on Saturday Night Live. Mr Chase and Mr Ford ended up being friends! The most interesting thing in the interview was that Mr Chase based Mr Ford's tripping and falling on the fact that he was the "Accidental President"--he never had Presidency as a goal in his life and literally ended up there by accident (of course, his filmed "trips" inspired Mr. Chase to go that route but the "insider reason" was pretty profound!).

I also must admit that with my kids going to school a stones throw from Grand Rapids (both are at GVSU now, Screi!), I am very happy they are up here on Christmas Break so they avoided all the extra traffic!

I salute you, Mr. President!

Liz

Being a Michigander, I must also chime in and say "Rest in Peace, Mr. Ford and thank you!" And what a sense of humor he had! Shortly after he died, MSNBC had a "block" containing an interview with Chevy Chase who mocked him constantly falling and tripping when he was on Saturday Night Live. Mr Chase and Mr Ford ended up being friends! The most interesting thing in the interview was that Mr Chase based Mr Ford's tripping and falling on the fact that he was the "Accidental President"--he never had Presidency as a goal in his life and literally ended up there by accident (of course, his filmed "trips" inspired Mr. Chase to go that route but the "insider reason" was pretty profound!).

I also must admit that with my kids going to school a stones throw from Grand Rapids (both are at GVSU now, Screi!), I am very happy they are up here on Christmas Break so they avoided all the extra traffic!

I salute you, Mr. President!

Liz

Tricky Dick had to love him, and rightly so. Sure does beat prison.

"Tricky Dick had to love him, and rightly so. Sure does beat prison."

..understand your point of view joe...felt that way myself in the 70's...but most people have come to realize and appreciate that the pardon saved this country several years of continued upheaval with indictments...trials..and the inevitable appeals..Watergate and Vietnam were pulling this country apart at the seams..inflation was running in double digits..interest rates were over 20%..we didn't need any more Nixon crap...

Gerry knew the political price he was risking(and ultimately paid )...but stood by his decision to do the right thing for the country..which speaks well to his courage and integrity in my book...

and frankly..Nixon paid dearly for the disgrace he brought upon himself and his Presidency for the rest of his life...notwithstanding history's judgment of his poor character...

Gerry Ford was a good man who stepped up and answered the call of service to his country...in the navy...as a congressman..vice president.. and president...and he never forgot his Grand Rapids roots and values..

Edited by screi