I had a gentleman want me to give his new toshiba laptop a look over before he started using it, along with installing av/spyware removal software(I installed "spysweeper with antivirus"). It was running boggy and unresponsive out of the box. It had over 60 processes running with 350mb of memory used while just having IE open. I disabled over 30 of the startup items, then rebooted. That shaved off over 150 mbs of shit. Besides wasting memory, all of that crap needs to load when you login. I also think one of those processes was conflicting, because the system was not responding. I googled a few of the processes, one was an audio driver that called home to let them know what settings you used. What a waste of recourses. You get 30 of these 5mb processes running and it kills your computer. Bestbuy now offers a $30 service that customizes your computer, my understanding is they mainly just uninstall and disable all of the stuff that you do not want running. This is a fully needed service nowadays.

I look at it this way. The guy was smart and actually saved money by taking it to you first. Unless it's already loaded on the machine, most people don't know what to do or install. They wait untill it doesn't work and call Geek squad or if they're smart post to sites like this and learn what to do. That's how I learned.

Mark