Dos Commands Don't Work

I would check to see if the paths are set correctly. R-click "my_computer">>properties>>advanced_tab>>environmental variables. Under system variables, you should have a path variable. Double click on the "path" line(so you can see it better, and edit it). Make sure you at least have the path to your system32 and system directory set: %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;

below is what mine looks like:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\

when you type a command into the shell, it will look for that command in the following order as listed in your path variable. According to my path variable it will look first in C:\windows\system32 . If for some reason your path variable is not set correctly, you would have to type the full path(location) of the command.

Edited by shanenin
Had an app listed before sys32 so I uninstalled the app, rebooted and all is fine.

M

you mean you had a directory listed in your path variable before %SystemRoot%\system32 ? If you need that app, just reinstall it, then make sure its directory is listed at the end of the path variable.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\Program Files\path-to-app