I have used LSPfix in the past to fix a corrupted network stack. Will running the command netsh int ip reset filte.txt fix things also? Is their any good reason not to just use the netshell utility to rebuild the stack to a pristine state? Will rebuilding the network stack break many programs?

edit added later//

I think if possible it may be better to use LSPfix. If LSPfix will solve the problem, it will do so without breaking as many programs. none-the -less netshell utility sounds pretty handy.

Edited by shanenin

You would use netsh int ip reset [log_file_name] to restore the TCP/IP functionality.

Command samples

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

If you are dealing with Winsock corruption (WinXP/2003).

How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption

After performing these repairs you may have to repair/reinstall the anti-virus/firewall programs.

I think the command netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt will also fix winsock2 problems, but at the expense of possibly breaking some programs.

On impulse i ran the command on my XP machine last evening. I wonder if that has affected avg. Maybe it will start complaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I got a computer job yesterday, the client told me the were not able to get to any websites with IE. I thought I would try and fix it with my new found knowledge. I tried the command netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt. It did not fix the problem. I ran HJT and showed an O10 entry that reported broken internet access. I then ran lspfix, that did fix the internet problem. My conclusion is the the netsh command does not fix winsock 2 problems as I assumed it did.

• 1 year later...