I have a small question.

I'm beginning the process of setting up my Slack/BSD dual boot. Can Qtparted re-size an ext3 root partition in Slackware? I was thinking of using my Knoppix CD for this. That way I could avoid doing a re-install of Slackware and just re-size my existing root partition, and create another partition for BSD.

If this isn't possible I'll just go ahead and do a re-install.

its worth a try, if it fails, you can just reinstall. Sound like fun :-)

http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/resizing-ex...ons-with-parted

Son of a gun, it worked:-)

Thanks for the link. I booted my Slackware box from my Ubuntu 6.06 CD and used Gparted to re-size my existing ext3 root linux partition from 16. 5 GB down to 10 GB. And I used Gparted to create a new ext3 partition of 6.5 GB which should be big enough to house FreeBSD.

After this I re-booted and now my root partition is showing as 9.8 GB. For some reason I can't see the new partition, but, I know it is there as I have less space on my primary root Slackware partition. I ran /sbin/lilo.

Thanks, shanenin, you saved me several hours of work. I can keep my existing Slack install and now dive into FreeBSD.

Cool. :D

Edit: Added later- I'll be able to see that new partition when I re-write my liloconf file after I delete the new partition during the BSD install and create a BSD partition on sda3. I rebooted my Ubuntu CD and Gparted sees the new Partition as sda3 so my partition scheme for liloconf should work:-) This is fun.