Display Error On Ie Pages

Hi. New member here. Recently I had to reformat my HDD. Right now, I'm on W98SE, but will soon be upgrading to XP. Anyway, since my reformat, I had to reinstall IE6 (I have the CD). It went pretty well, and am just about back to normal, with one exception. Many sites I go to display an error message saying I need to download something. In the image on the link below, the top pic is the error message I get. When I agree to download it, I get the bottom pic. See http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/mys...rrorwindows.jpg It keeps asking for a "Windows Update CD," but I don't have one. When I click Cancel, the window goes away and the page loads normally. As far as I can tell, it's not causing any problems, except that irritating window on most sites I go to. This confuses me because I've reformatted in the past and reinstalled IE6, but didn't have this problem.

NOTE -- If you visit the link, you'll probably have to drag the mouse pointer over the pic, then click the bottom right icon which appears to bring it up to full size.

Thanks for any thoughts....

Edited by mystified

You need to update Win98SE. IF Windows Update no longer works for 98 the following link has many of the necessary updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

The one you need to stop the popup is found by scrolling down to:

Windows Script Support

680 KB | 6 Min @ 28.8

Windows Script provides an integrated script platform for Windows for use in your Web browser and other Windows applications. Included in this release are new versions of Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript®), JScript®, the Window Script Runtime, Windows Script Components and Windows Script Host. To make scripts run faster, performance in this version has been considerably improved over the previous version.

Thanks for the reply, Terrorist :)

I tried, but the page has been removed. I know that M$ has discontinued support for 98SE, so it seems that even their archived updates aren't available. I guess it doesn't matter, though, because I'll be on XP in less than 2 weeks. Although I'm keeping 10 GB for 98SE (I have 80 GB HDD), I'll be running browser, internet, etc. from XP. So, I'll just live with it until I've made the change. After that, it won't matter because I won't be accessing the net from 98SE any more. Just thought that if it was a quick fix, I'd do it.

Thanks anyway! Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I guess I must be doing something wrong. Tried again, with same results. Here's what I did:

1. Clicked your link and scrolled down to Windows Script Support, then clicked on it.

2. It took me to a page to read about what it is, then I clicked the Next button

3. That took me to a license agreement page. From the drop-down menu, I left it on "Accept License Agreement And Begin Download Now (English)", and clicked "Next."

4. That took me to a page which says "The Page Cannot Be Found."

I tried clicking the Downloads button at the top, but that just takes me back to the beginning page (where I scroll down to Windows Script Support). Is there something else I should be doing?

Sorry for the confusion....thanks for your patience :)

im not sure if this will work on win98se

try clearing your history and temp files

then go to start run

type cmd

at the prompt type ipconfig/flush dns

press enter.

then come out of the cmd

start- run

in the run box type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

press enter

then reboot

this works on xp but it is worth a try

on win98

marty

Thanks for the thought, martymas, but -- as you suspected -- it doesn't work on 98 (doesn't recognize cmd). Oh, well, worth a try.

Terrorist, I owe ya :D It worked. The popup is gone. Wish I'd known about this a long time ago. While I still had some on my HDD, I saved what Windows Updates I could to a CD (28 of them), but always knew I didn't have them all. I'm going to save this setup program to a CD, even though I'm changing to XP....still could need it sometime. I'd like to know if these will also work on ME. Oh, well, can't hurt to save them. Anyway, thanks for the help....much appreciated! :thumbsup: