Firefox Caused Ie Not To Work.

My daughter installed Firefox and now her Internet Explorer doesn't work any more. She also downloaded and installed IE7 and it doesn't work. Did Firefox cause this?

No, in all likelyhood IE7 is freezing at the connecting when launched.

After install IE7 wants to connect to a MSN server which will guide you through setting up your preferences for the new features it has.

Unfortunately there are several things which will block this from happening.

So the first thing to do is go to control panel => add/remove programs and select "Windows Internet Explorer 7 " from the list (from the programs list , not from the windows components list) this will roll you back to IE6

Now If you have spybot teatimer, you will want to go into its blocked sites list and make sure that the msn redirect is not listed.

Then disable teatimer, your antivirus, and any registry locking software. In fact disable anything that you think could interfere.

I have also seen an instance where the Yahoo toolbar interfered; so you may want to uninstall any toolbars you have .

Then download and install IE7.

Restart when done and again kill your antivirus and teatimer etc before launching IE7 and letting it go to the msn setup page.

After you configure it , you can restart and leave things as normal.

My daughter installed Firefox and now her Internet Explorer doesn't work any more. She also downloaded and installed IE7 and it doesn't work. Did Firefox cause this?

No, in all likelyhood IE7 is freezing at the connecting when launched.

After install IE7 wants to connect to a MSN server which will guide you through setting up your preferences for the new features it has.

Unfortunately there are several things which will block this from happening.

So the first thing to do is go to control panel => add/remove programs and select "Windows Internet Explorer 7 " from the list (from the programs list , not from the windows components list) this will roll you back to IE6

Now If you have spybot teatimer, you will want to go into its blocked sites list and make sure that the msn redirect is not listed.

Then disable teatimer, your antivirus, and any registry locking software. In fact disable anything that you think could interfere.

I have also seen an instance where the Yahoo toolbar interfered; so you may want to uninstall any toolbars you have .

Then download and install IE7.

Restart when done and again kill your antivirus and teatimer etc before launching IE7 and letting it go to the msn setup page.

After you configure it , you can restart and leave things as normal.

Pete, IE6 stopped working after she installed Firefox. I will check and see what Anti Virus and if she has any toolbars running. Will go ahead and uninstall IE7 and then try reinstalling it after I disable those other programs. Will get back to you and let you know. Thanks.

Pete, thanks for the info. I went to her PC and ran SFC /scannow and now IE7 is working. I did disable her Yahoo toolbar first. After doing all that, she said she is happier with Firefox and wants to use it. Go figure huh? I don't have anything else to do but fix things that aren't wanted in the first place. Thanks for your help.