Project: Razors Edge

I decided to take on a new project before spring arrives. Project: Razors Edge (after Saliva's song) into a storm chasing vehicle. :) I couldn't find the right place to talk about this so I stuck it in open chat. What I have planned so far is to redo the roof lining (its falling down) in my car, and after that, add a 2 meter radio (I'm KB9WEC). A IBM thinkpad t21 notebook (for tracking weather on radar and programming the 2m radio). I also was thinking about adding a few cameras (this may be after this year). But I am also upgrading my 35mm camera equipment. Hopefully I'll have pictures as the project progresses to show what I am doing:) I am excited about it and I think this will turn into a cool project along with keeping me and my friend out of trouble as long possibliy save lives (if I don't get hurt first lol). We'll see! - Grady

Grady, I think what you're doing is just great! I love the weather and storms. I was about 10 blocks away from the tornado that crashed right through downtown Kalamazoo... (didn't see anything, was in the basement at a friends house) Now, that son-of-a-gun touched down about 25 miles west of here and hippity hopped down our main east-west highway.. and blew out half of downtowns windows.

A week or so later I sold new carpet to a couple who lost their 100 year old barn but not the hay. (go figure) They told me they used snow shovels to scrape pig dung off their living room walls. The nearest pig farm was 8 miles away.

Good Luck, I envy you.

Sure makes me glad we only have to deal with Mount St Helens (volcano) blowing her top. And the occasional bad windstorm, or winter ice storm. Did have some very mild and rather rare minor tornados this summer mostly in rural areas, but nothing like you guys are talking about. More common in the NW are water spouts, over the rivers in Or., Puget Sound in Wa., or over the ocean.

My Dad was raised in Indiana, and told of some hair raising times with tornados. Nope I don't want to be around them. And did I mention I hate lightening storms?

I think I am just chicken about going through all that stuff as a regular occurance. I get stressed out enough without tornados and other viscious weather.

Though if we move to the coast when we retire, I will have to get used to winter wind storms, and they can be pretty nasty, in the 80 to 100mph category. Very sturdy house, and backup heat source etc, would be in my must haves before I would feel safe.

But on the other hand, storm watching at the coast with the wave action is so exciting, if you are safe, warm, and dry. That is my only concession to this "sport" of storm watching. Ha!

Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

We left Summerdale, Al yesterday heading to Old Town, Fl and kept hearing on the news about tornado warnings in Al. Today on national news saw where a tornado touched down in Summerdale. Left just in time. While there we went to Gulf Shores, Al and saw the devastation left by Hurricane Ivan. It was amazing. Driving thru Pensacola, Fl saw lots more devastation from Ivan. I guess it's true:

DON"T MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE!

DICK

I love tornadoes. I love reading about them, studying them. I've probably been studying them since ooo since I was 11. And I am 21 now. They have always fascniated me and I really want to see one up close. I hope one day to put use this storm chasing to good use. While I'll have a 2meter radio in the car, I hope I can do more then just sit and watch the twister do its thing. I am going to look into responder teams, to search survivors. I want to help with cleanup and helping people get back on their feet if they're hit by the storm. I remeber a lot I'd call my friends up telling them to get into the basement and warning them on the approaching storm.

I am really looking forward next spring. And I hope I can make a difference :)- Grady