Removed Pcmcia Card, Laptop Crashed

I got a friend's computer today. This is what she described.

She has a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop with Windows XP. She used a Verizon Wireless PCMCIA internet card to gain access to the internet. She said she pulled the card out of the laptop, and received a BSOD, she tried to reboot and she said the computer got stuck on the Windows XP bootup window for like 10 min. She tried again and the same thing.

She gave the computer to me. I plugged in the card, and turned on the laptop. I had the same problem. So I restarted again and hit F12 for Setup. I then came to the Safe Mode menu, and it said something about a hardware issue, and I could go into safe mode or normal mode, etc. I chose safe mode, and then booted up. I tried to open the Verizon Connection box and connect to the internet, but it said the card was in use with another application. There were no other applications running.

So then I went to Start, Restart, and now the computer went back the Windows Boot up screen and it's sitting on a black screen with a movable white arrow. The hard drive activity light shows no HD activity.

What should I do? And what might have gone wrong?

You may have to do a repair install of windows. Do you have an XP disc available?

A repair installation basically replaces all essential windows system files but leaves installed applications intact. All updates and service packs will need to be reapplied after a repair install. It's also a good idea to back up any important documents before you do a repair install in case anything goes wrong. Since the computer isn't bootable, making a backup will be tough but could be done with a live linux distro (like knoppix) or some other bootable "CD based" operating system.

I was afraid you would suggest a clean install, unfortunately I know she has extensive work records on her computer, and knowing her she didn't back up either.

I wish there was an easier way of disabling the device, or some diagnostic to run in safe mode to fix this.

If I CAN get to safe mode again, is there anything I can do there in the hardware properties?

Ok I am trying to get back to safe mode. When I choose safe mode, and it's goes through the list of drivers, it gets hung up on....

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys After a LONG while, I COULD get to the safe mode, we'll see if it works again, and I'll try to go to devices

Did you see mission impossible III? I was a little disappointed with it, but ah well...

back to the topic though. Unfortunately your options seem to be dwindling down... I think you should give a repair install a try. I've done many before and have never lost any data but that doesn't mean that data loss never happens.

This site gives the rundown on a repair install if you're interested.