Usb Microphone Questions

My daughter has a friend in the Peace Corps somewhere in the Carribean. Phone service is $$$ and snailmail is almost non-existent. The friend is dying to hear her friends voices. Her father, after seeing her phone charges is getting her a laptop. I found in my misc. box, a Logitech USB microphone. Information I found so far tells me I just plug it in and XP will detect it. Do I need any extra software? I'm not familiar with instant messinger programs. I looked at her computer and AIM has a "talk" icon. Does she just click on it and start talking? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never had any use for one before

Mark

My daughter has a friend in the Peace Corps somewhere in the Carribean. Phone service is $$$ and snailmail is almost non-existent. The friend is dying to hear her friends voices. Her father, after seeing her phone charges is getting her a laptop. I found in my misc. box, a Logitech USB microphone. Information I found so far tells me I just plug it in and XP will detect it. Do I need any extra software? I'm not familiar with instant messinger programs. I looked at her computer and AIM has a "talk" icon. Does she just click on it and start talking? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never had any use for one before

Mark

It should be Plug n Play.

You should look into Skype for the actual software though.

It's rated very high. And free!