Storm Season

But I was wondering how many watches storms? I do, I am ready for Storm Season 2005 to be honest :) hehe. I need to get my internal clock readjusted.

I guess it has to do a lot with this year. In late may, twice I came close to seeing a tornado. Even though on the first one, I didn't get to see the actual funnel, I saw the actual storm cell and it was massive. I came over a hill in Jeffersonville, Indiana where you could over look a rock quary. What I saw was amazing, it was like a black wall was put behind the quary. I never seen anything like it, and at the same time lightning was striking so fast and so wicked that I just couldn't believe it. And at the time, I was driving anywhere, I was really driving following the storm. But I had to stop around 8 pm edt, because it was just getting to dark and too dangerous to be out (we had another cell coming in right behind that one) so I headed home.

It wasn't until 3 days later, another system came in. I was @ work @ Sears. And they stopped everything and had everyone evacuate to the break room. I missed the 1st passed, but I asked my boss if I could go watch the storm. He said ok, and I went out. But before I went out th edoor I grabed a radio so I can stay in contact with my boss. As I headed out, it wasn't no more than 5 seconds I turned to my right and saw the wall cloud. My co worker right behind paniced and started yelling tornado. Annoyed, I told my other co worker it wasn't one...yet. About 5 mins later as it crossed Hwy 31, I saw the wall cloud dropped a funnel. My other co worker and I just watched as it became wrapped in my ram. I told my boss on the radio. "Okay, NOW we do have a tornado." Even though I couldn't see it, I felt the wind heading in the same direction as the tornado, and I just knew it had touched down. 2 mins more passed and I heard the radio "Okay, everyone inside now. The tv said the weather service has issued a tornado warning for Exit 4. I don't know if you know, but WE'RE EXIT 4!" Even though the situation was serious, I couldn't help but laughed at the way his message came out. But I didn't waste time getting inside.

After the storm passed we're fine, no one injured. It was near closing time so I asked my boss if I could go home and check on my family. He said it was cool so I left. As I was driving home, I turned on the radio and heard about Marengo, Indiana. I quickly wanted to drive home quickly asi I could to check on the family, then proceed to Marengo to help. But I quickly nod it off knowing if I even made it up there, I would be turned away by the Police.

But next year, I am hopnig to get more invovled with such areas of civil defense, so when I do get to see the tornado I've been waiting to see. I can also turn and help anyone affected by it. People think people like me are nuts. But we never want see anyone hurt by these forces of nature. But we do try to help who we can if they are people who are hurt.

I hate to cut this short, but I gtg to work. I'll finish this up when I get home! - Grady

Hi Grady,

My you sure like to live dangerously! I like to stay out of danger myself. :rolleyes:

Portland, Or. had a program a few years ago that trained neighborhood volunteer responders for all sorts of emergency events. Don't know if the program is still around or not. Anyhow maybe your city or county has something similar. You might contact your non-emergency police line or city/county government to see if they have something for you. Or the Red Cross might be the place since they usually are in the thick of things.

God bless everyone.