Got Back From Deaf Camp

Hey guys, im back from yesterday. It so fun for 1 week and a half. i have a great great time there. met a new people and all of them is kids at hearts. and the kids also. im the staff counslor for cabin,Werewolf. all of those kids are so wild but i managed to control them, haha. i went to serect river for staffs, went to pool for my kids everyday (every staff call them my kids), pouring a shaving cream on one staff, everynight we chat a lot. i really wish i stay there forever to hgave fun but again it only last for a week. i might go to North camp which it belong to Deaf Wilderness. there is two camp, south camp and north campo. north camp is located in northern california near fremont. we like a family who really cares about each other and love each other, that the way of Deaf Culture is.

Today i finally got a Sidekick 3, about time. it have many nice feature: bluetooth, mp3 player, 1.3mp camera, Aim/MSN/Yahoo messenger, trackball (very nice to have), mp3 player, pothers nice feature to know that your sk3 is fully charged. any many things. who have sidekick?

Sounds like you and the kids all had a great time!

That's the neat part of giving of yourself to help others you end up receiving good from it too!

Wow looks like you got a neat new gadget to enjoy! Have fun with it.

Glad to have you back after your camp trip.

Pat

God bless everyone

I was clinicly declared profoundly deaf. Thankfully the doctors made the biggest blunder since time became AD.

I know how hard it can be to grow up being partially deaf, i cant imagin how hard it is to be fully deaf. I also wish there was some camps like that here in ireland :/

Pierce

it not that hard in america, it a small world and we like family. it the way of deaf culture is. we meet the deaf person, we become the family because it like 1 deaf out of 200 hearing people in america.

and im getting ready for north camp from two week from now and will be gone for a week. it great fun for kids and staff also. but again, most of the kids is not very knowledgable about deaf culture, because they goes to hearing school when the deaf culture is no longer appiled in there.

Edited by DarkestDream
  • 3 weeks later...

Im Backkkkkkkk. Jeez, this week is hellish. Staffs get all cranky, reason why... the activites is too boring, it the same thing every year and cause too much problem to me and the rest of the staff. we have to keep the children happy. so i called a meeting last wed and told everything to the Admins (They are very flexible and they like a family to us, a bros and sis) I told them the staffs and i are about to quit the camp because of this bad emotions around camping. and told them the activites is too boring. the camp never provides a water cooler for children. it just silly. many kids complained about they need water. After that meeting, it changed. amazing, one voice can change everything. i didnt expect that to happen. after that wed, we totally have fun. thanks to me for that. if i never had that meeting, we would quit before friday.

Again, it was the board's fault. they keep saying no for some of the activites. like no water fight, it not really a fight but it just a game to have fun and keep us cool. so after that mtg, they ignore everything what board told us. They never think of the children and the staffs. they keep thinking about the legal problems that they can be sued for it. but that nev er happens. i know parents want their children to have fun, no matter what the cost, no matter what happen, just have a safe fun. and we did. so our morals went high after that mtg. amazing.

It takes guts to speak up, DD and I'm glad you did! Especially about supplying plenty of water with the hot spell we've had. Good for you!

In this sue-happy society the threat of being sued is ruining so much fun for kids. Sad, isn't it? Maybe the camps will realise that the best alternative is to have the parents sign a liability form. I'm glad you stuck up for the kids, afterall, this camp is for THEM!

Liz