Toshiba Laptop-disable Power Saver, Other Services?

I have acquired a used, three year old Toshiba Satelite 1415 notebook.

The previous owner used it only for email and Spider Solitaire, and has made no adjustments whatsoever to it...

Toshiba has been "kind" enough to provide many Toshiba services, including Toshiba Power Saver, which disables the Power Options (via Control Panel). How do I disable this? When googling it, I found that it could not be done... Yet I am still hopeful.

Also, how can I determine which Toshiba processes I can avoid using without damaging the functionality of the device? It seems like half of the running processes are Toshiba this or Toshiba that.

The notebook has a screaming 20GB hard drive, and is running XP. I can not even fit my music on the thing. If I reinstall windows and the drivers, it will just put all of the crap right back on it, right?

I want the laptop to be able to go online, run Dreamweaver, MS Office and Photoshop. Should I switch to OpenOffice to save space?

Thanks!

if you can get your hands on an OEM xp disk, use that to reinstall along with the COA(key) on the bottom of the laptop. That would be the best route, it would leave you with a very clean bare install of xp.

If you are not able to get an OEM disk, I would check with add/remove programs to see if you can delete any unwanted programs. In all honesty, you probably do not need any of the toshiba processes(need is very personal to you). I have a toshiba laptop and do not use any of the original programs that came with it. If you leave them, I doubt they are using a whole lot of resources.

Edited by shanenin
if you can get your hands on an OEM xp disk, use that to reinstall along with the COA(key) on the bottom of the laptop. That would be the best route, it would leave you with a very clean bare install of xp.

If you are not able to get an OEM disk, I would check with add/remove programs to see if you can delete any unwanted programs. In all honesty, you probably do not need any of the toshiba processes(need is very personal to you). I have a toshiba laptop and do not use any of the original programs that came with it. If you leave them, I doubt they are using a whole lot of resources.

I have the original cds that were sold with the machine. There are 3 Toshiba recovery cds, including applications and drivers. I feel that if I use these cds, all of the Toshibaware will be stuck right back on the dingdong thing.

Edited by LiXindi
xxkbxx

Won't the other OEM CDs have drivers not needed on the laptop? Because the hard drive is so tiny, I am trying to keep everything to a minimum.

Thanks

no an oem disk is a very plain xp disk. It has only the drivers that come with xp, no extra. An oem disk may not even have all of your essential drivers. You still may need to download network(wired/wireless), video, audio from the toshiba sight.

xxkbxx

Won't the other OEM CDs have drivers not needed on the laptop? Because the hard drive is so tiny, I am trying to keep everything to a minimum.

Thanks

do you absolutely have to have win xp? how about another os/

also read this about open office.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...T_AM&nlid=1

I am not familiar with Linux. Can I run Photoshop, Dreamweaver and an Office Suite? I have MS, Wordperfect and Works. I am open to trying other comprable programs. I did not like GIMP though.

Because I am so clueless about other OS, I would like to stick with XP. But, if other OSs are simple, I could give that a try. What would you suggest, bearskin?

Thanks also for the link on OpenOffice. I guess nothing is totally secure.

I am not familiar with Linux. Can I run Photoshop, Dreamweaver and an Office Suite? I have MS, Wordperfect and Works. I am open to trying other comprable programs. I did not like GIMP though.

Because I am so clueless about other OS, I would like to stick with XP. But, if other OSs are simple, I could give that a try. What would you suggest, bearskin?

Thanks also for the link on OpenOffice. I guess nothing is totally secure.

well you could use something like win 98se or winme. our very own "the terrorist 75" is the local windows expert. he is extremely knowledgeable on either os and he can get you setup. some people may disagree with me but I perfer wordperfect over ms office.