I have two computers, both running Win98SE, connecting to an Aten 5 port hub, then into an Alcatel DSL modem. I just bought a new system, running XP Home and I would like to connect it to my network so I can transfer files before decommissioning the oldest computer.

I tried to use the XP's network setup wizard to add the new cpu to the network but it didn't work. Could this be an XP / 98 version conflict or maybe a configuration problem with protocols?

While checking recent threads at G4, I followed this link network rules It says you shouldn't need netbios for the network so I tidied up my settings by removing netbios protocols and dialup settings. But my network would not work unless I reinstalled netbios.

So I followed the advice on that link and installed the IPX/SPX/NETBIOS protocol on the new system, reran the wizard and still no network with the old systems. There must be something I'm missing, but what?? Do I need netbios because of my hookup? Why won't the wizard do it's job?

If you just want to backup files from the PC - crack it open and remove the hard drive. Then, set your other PC's drive to master (it's probably on CS), and the removed one to slave. It should come up under my computer for faster and easier copying. From what I know, networking with 98 is a little tricky

The following is assumbing you have xp sp2 :

1. do this first to your xp machine

make sure your xp computers workgroup is set to "workgroup". It may be set to "mshome". To do this r-click on mycomputer, then choose properties, then goto the computer name tab. If needed you can change it using the button labled "change..."

normally I would say turn off xps firewall until you get things working. Since you are behind a hub, and not a router(a hardware firewall), You should leave your xp firewall on. You need to make an exception to allow the xp firewall to allow file sharing(this may already be done by default). Open the firewall thru the controlpanel and under the exceptions tab, check "file and printer sharing". Apply and exit

make a folder on your desktop. Then r-click on it and choose "sharing and security". Then check "share this folder on the network" and "allow other users to change my files" . Xp and networking seems to like a good reboot, this is probably not nessesary.

2. do this next to your windows 98 machine

Now on your windows 98se machine do a reboot. now your xp computer should be in your network neiborhood. Using you 98 machine you should be able to copy your files to your xp machine.

Edited by shanenin

Just curious, did you try the simple way I mentioned above?

Are you able to ping each other using the ping command from the windows command prompt?

Is your modem also a router(it must be)?

Edited by shanenin