Hp Printer And Dos Problem

Found this and just wanted to share..Like i don't waste enough paper already... :blink:

Not critical

Impact: DoS

Where: From local network

Solution Status: Unpatched

Description:

Weakness in HP PSC 2510 Photosmart All-in-One printer, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).

The printer reportedly has an undocumented feature that prints files written to a write-only directory, which is anonymously accessible via a FTP service. This can be exploited by anyone to place a large file in the directory, which will cause a large amount of papers to be printed.

Solution:Restrict access to the service.

It is reportedly not possible to disable the FTP service.

Provided and/or discovered by:

Justin Rush

• 3 years later...

The Future Is Here!

I imagine the more products are connected the more strange exploits we're going to see. We should start a pool to see when the first wristwatch exploit appears!

I've always used HP printers (and paid the price in supplies and glitches), everyone I know who has Epson printers loves them. Hmm.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 2 Epson printers and HATED them both. I've since had 2 HP's and a Lexmark. First HP was a Photo one. It was OK but my god ink was expensive for it. Lexmark I got cause it was cheap. Did the job, ran out of ink, parents bought more, ran out of ink again when I needed it. To hell with buying ink, bought a slightly higher up model HP this time instead of bottom of the line ultra cheapo. I love it. Prints like a champ is the quickest printer I've owned. Looks cool too.