Microsoft Drops Pdf From Next Version Of Office

Adobe and Microsoft have settled it the hard way!!!

PC World article about Microsoft dropping PDF from next Office version

I wonder if the Foxit free reader/editor is a full replacement for whatever the Adobe one does that wont be in next Office?

Foxit Free Small PDF Reader

I've never figured out what's so special about PDFs anyhow? :unsure: But then I am just a non-techie!

Pat

God bless everyone

I've never figured out what's so special about PDFs anyhow? :unsure: But then I am just a non-techie!

I agree (as a non-techie) that PDF is over-blown. Given the ability when researching in Google to view either a PDF document or the alternate HTML document, I always choose the HTML doc rather than waiting for Adobe's ap to load and then having to (seemingly) fiddle with the document to read it. I could be wrong but the PDF doc doesn't highlight my key words like the HTML doc does when using a Google link. When reading news and comments on some news aggregators Foxitt is a slam dunk when reading said offending PDF documents.

I thought the following quote from the article you cited was somewhat humourous: "As our CEO Bruce Chizen has stated publicly numerous times in the past, Microsoft has a monopoly and we are always concerned about the possibility that they might abuse that monopoly," she said."... kettle calling the pot overly oxidized?... or just a dig in stating that Microsoft has a monopoly and nobody has done anything about it (successfully)? Dunno.

It's about power and money and (pick your own epithet) with the end user.

;)

pdf is a much better quality when you want to print line drawings, technical specs, etc. I can read the small fine print easier than with printing from a web page. If you are just viewing the page then html is fine.

PDF does a lot more then show up as a choice of documents and working on any platform. It can be secured so you can't change them, they can be used as a forms that will let you enter text but not change the original text. And that just some things.

After saying that os x has been able to view and write PDF for years without adobe. This makes viewing pdf from web much quicker. Also letting you save any document made on a mac as a pdf for portability and compatibility. Of course you still need adobe if you want all the bells and whistles.