I want to run my own Windows Apache server. I want to do this primarily for personal use but perhaps I could host friends to make a little money later down the road. I found something I like (XAMMP), but it always had to be open in a DOS prompt. Is there anything similar that could do the same thing (similar or better) while running in the background? I need something that will sit next to my clock so that I don't need it 'open'.

Thanks,

Ryan

Apache itself can run as a service and will not require a dos box to be open. I suspect it was the XAMMP interface that made that requirement.

Are you dead-set on Apache? In a Windows environment, I prefer to run IIS. What version of Windows are you running?

Oh, sorry.

I am using Windows ME (yeah, I know!! <_< ).

I forgot to mention that I was looking for something that included PHP on the install, along with other useful things like mySQL/SQLite, among others.

By the way, I wanted Apache because that's what was suggested to me by others in the past.

Thanks,

Ryan.