Subject: Fw: car key info IMPORTANT

Here is info worth the price of your car WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT?

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck,write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. My friend didn't believe this e-mail, so she called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended she had lost her keys. They told her to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut her one on the spot, and she could order the keyless device if she wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN NUMBER.

Bozo is absolutely right on this as Ihad to get a replacement key one time. All they asked for was the VIN #, no proof of ownership required

While some dealers may cut a key without getting information first, this method wouldn't be very efficient for a thief. Maybe an ex-, or a stalker, or something along that line might try it though.

A thief's gonna have an easier way in that doesn't take a couple of hours or expose him to being ID'ed. Considering how easy that method sounds, and that dealers have had this ability since day one, ask yourself, have you ever heard of it being used by a thief before?

Bozo is absolutely right on this as I had to get a replacement key one time. All they asked for was the VIN #, no proof of ownership required

You bet Robroy...... Same for me when I lost my keys..... My plan is to never drive something worth the trouble. Heh heh...... Like what the heck would they want a '94 GMC Safari for????

Dang, I remember, as a teen we found out there were only a handful of key codes. Well, my dad and my friends mom had '56 Fords. Every time we were in a (mall) shopping center we would try our keys in every '56 Ford in the lot. "BONAZA!" We once opened a car that had two GIQ'S of beer setting on the top of the grocery bags. Musta been a real laugh when said person got home without their beers.....

Edited by bozodog