Yeah, love the trilogy. Read the book bout 30 times since 1970 and read all of the other books relating to Middle Earth written by Tolkien or his son Christopher. I have the three extended edition dvd's and one day will just sit and watch it all the way through. That is if I can find 13 hours with nothing else to do

Once in a blue moon there is a movie (or series of movies) that changes everything in the movie business. The first one I personally experienced was 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Matrix trilogy is a more recent example. And the LOTR trilogy is the most recent example. No one can make a fantasy movie ever again that won't owe something to the LOTR movies.

Umm, to answer the question, yes, I'm a fan. :blush:

I never read the books however. I looked through them, saw the appendices, notes, notes on notes, maps, and said, "No way." I watched the first LOTR movie because I like the genre, and was BLOWN AWAY. What an acheivement! Not having read the books I might be off the mark on this, but I could not believe how perfectly cast this movie was. It's like each actor was born to play their part. That might have been the strength of the story, or script, or direction, or costumes/makeup, or maybe those actors all just happened to be great actors, each and every one of them, but that wouldn't explain how they looked exactly as I would expect each character to look.

Shoot, I could go on and on ... :blush:

Edited by JDoors
Yeah, love the trilogy. Read the book bout 30 times since 1970 and read all of the other books relating to Middle Earth written by Tolkien or his son Christopher. I have the three extended edition dvd's and one day will just sit and watch it all the way through. That is if I can find 13 hours with nothing else to do

Hey robroy,

I've read the Hobbit many times, but, haven't read LOTR yet. I think I'm going to do that, the movies take my breath away:-) Yeah, it does take a lot of time to watch all of the movies. My daughter and I are going to finish watching Return of the King tonight. Popcorn time:-)

Once in a blue moon there is a movie (or series of movies) that changes everything in the movie business. The first one I personally experienced was 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Matrix trilogy is a more recent example. And the LOTR trilogy is the most recent example. No one can make a fantasy movie ever again that won't owe something to the LOTR movies.

Umm, to answer the question, yes, I'm a fan. :blush:

I never read the books however. I looked through them, saw the appendices, notes, notes on notes, maps, and said, "No way." I watched the first LOTR movie because I like the genre, and was BLOWN AWAY. What an acheivement! Not having read the books I might be off the mark on this, but I could not believe how perfectly cast this movie was. It's like each actor was born to play their part. That might have been the strength of the story, or script, or direction, or costumes/makeup, or maybe those actors all just happened to be great actors, each and every one of them, but that wouldn't explain how they looked exactly as I would expect each character to look.

Shoot, I could go on and on ... :blush:

Agreed. 2001 is a ground-breaking film, a stunning visual feast! :thumbsup:

I also love the Matrix trilogy, I've seen the first one and have the others on DVD, I'm going to watch them all this week. I'm really getting into watching movies lately.

Yes, well-said! The cast of the LOTR films is amazing, they do indeed look exactly the way you would expect the charcaters to look. Great casting on the part of Peter Jackson! I've also been hesitant to read LOTR, but, I think it is time to do that. Tolkien rules. :D

I first read the books back in High School.....many years ago....I think it was back in the second age...LOL (seems like it sometimes).

Yes. You must read the books. The movie was Fantastic. But the books cover parts the movie should have added. But be prepared, like any movie....it's different from the books.

Well worth the reading :thumbsup:

I've lost count of how many times I've read LOTR and the Hobbit... probably up in the 30 times myself. I've worn out 3 or 4-sets of paperback editions. I considered, about 1985, to finally buy the deluxe hard back version (all inclusive, I believe, in one volume)... but it was about $100.00 USD back then... a dear amount of money for me, so I passed.

Funny though... I haven't read the books since the last film offerings... but I have felt the itch to hearken back to Tom Bombadil and some of the other important details that the movies, though excellENT, did not mention.

Favorite movie of the 3... the first (The Fellowship of The Ring).

Favorite character in the books... Tom Bombadil (courtesy of wikipedia).

Favorite character in the movie version... long suffering Samwise.

Can't watch enough of in the movie version: Galladriel resisting the temptation of the One Ring. I think it was in the book "The Silmarillion" (courtesy wikipedia) that her character was best portrayed. I would highly recommend this book to LOTR fans.

I hope the promised? movie "The Hobbit" comes out soon.

I still have my original paperback copy of LOTR bought in 1970 and now held togher by tape. I have other copies of the book now including a beautiful hardback edition I prize. I alos have a great companion book ' A Tolkien Bestiary" that describes all of the living beings and creatures mentioned anywhere in any of the Middle Earth books.

Another great series of books is the 'Pern' series by Anne McCaffrey. They are well worth the time and effort to read. Not exactly fantasy and not toally sci fi but a blending of both

... Favorite movie of the 3 ... Favorite character in the movie version ...

The first was definitely the best all-round, though individual scenes in the others surpassed any individual scene you could point out in the first. Like some battle scenes in the later movies, unparallelled! But the later movies were (albeit intentionally) too dark (and I mean that in the sense of a lack of good lighting). The first had a brightness and light in many scenes that made everything in it magical.

As for characters, something about them Elves ... I dunno, they drew my attention like no other characters (maybe I was an Elf in another life? ;) ). Probably something to do with their apparent "higher purpose" or knowledge, sort of demi-Gods or something like it.

My daughter and I finishd watching Return of the King last night. I warned her about the scene with Frodo, Sam and the spider; she found that quite chilling.

Thanks for the very positive recommendations about the LOTR novels, JSKY, bobbynichols, JDoors, and robroy. I've dusted off my copy of The Fellowship of the Ring and am reading it today.

I think it will really be something if Peter Jackson receives permission to bring The Hobbit to the big screen:-)