My hard drive was erased when I sent it in to have the Cd burner fixed. I backed up to an external HD, but had to reinstall the Restrospect software it came with when I got my laptop back. Now I can't access the restore points on the external HD. Here's what the help file says in my Restrospect program:

Here is what the help file in my Retrospect software says:

Restoring Your Entire Computer

Before you can restore your entire computer, you must reinstall the same version of the operating system (including Service Packs) that you were using when the computer was backed up. You must also create the same number of partitions on your internal disk drive and those partitions must be of equal or greater size to the originals (so that there is enough room to restore all the backed up files).

Reinstall the Maxtor OneTouch and Retrospect Express HD software, then launch Retrospect Express HD by pressing the OneTouch button, or right-clicking the Retrospect Express HD icon in the system tray and choosing Open Retrospect Express HD.

To restore your entire computer:

1.Click Restore.

2.Select a restore point that includes a backup of your entire boot drive (usually C:\).

3.If you selected "My entire computer" when you backed up, your restore point includes the boot drive.

4.Click Next.

5.Select the check box next to My Computer to mark all files and folders for restore.

6.Click Next.

7.Select "Their original location".

8.Click Restore.

9.Select the check box to "Overwrite the entire disk".

This selection restores your computer to its state at the time the restore point was created.

10.Click Restore.

11.Click Yes to confirm.

Retrospect Express HD begins the restore process. Status information indicates its progress.

12.When the restore is complete, exit Retrospect Express HD.

13.Restart your computer

Your system may require more than one restart. Follow the onscreen instructions (if any) to complete the restore process.

I can't get past #2. My windows xp is already reinstalled, of course. I just got did a windows update(they said I needed all the same service packs?). So, how do I access those restore points on my external HD?

I don't see any options that let me view the restore points from within the program and I can't figure out how to access them.

PLEASE HELP.

Dave

Edited by dave