I noticed today while syncing(using nfs) up my file servers, a 2.1 gb file failed to copy. I did some reasearch and found NFSv2 does not support >2gb file sizes. I noticed that my nfs server did not have version 3 support in the kernel. After adding that option to the kernel I was able to transfere that large file. It appeared I was running NFSv2(unable to tranfere large files), but after the kernel upgrade I was running NFSv3(was able to tranfere large files).

Here is where I am unsure. What determines what version of nfs I am using(I am still not sure)? As far as I can tell the only nfs program in portage is nfs-utils. Does this package support all versions of nfs, even 4? If I enabled NFSv4 support in my kernel, would I be running NFSv4?

For the server, it depends on the daemon. Vanilla linux I think requires some kernel level nfs support to work, but it's mostly for some of the messier locking stuff. The client however, has to be either built into the kernel or into the nfs driver. There's a site explaining some of the gentoo specific tweaks required to get nfsv4 working here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_NFSv4

Unfortunately I don't have a gentoo drive to test that on, but it sounds right. It's strange that version 2 was built by default, it's been obsolete for almost 11 years, and 3 has certainly become stable by now.

thanks for the wiki link accoding to it, to use NFSv4 I need a newer version of nfs-utils

Currently, the unmasked version of nfs-utils is 1.0.6, which doesn't contain support for nfsv4, and the 1.0.7-r1 version is masked as shown in the previous link. Originally, with nfs-utils-1.0.7, you needed to specify a USE flag of nfs4, now with nfs-utils-1.0.7-r1 you must explicitly turn off NFSv4 support with the nonfsv4 USE flag. So, we will need to unmask nfs-utils.

I don't think I have a need for NFSv4, but was just curiuos.