Can Restore Cd Be Used For Repair

Greetings All,

I did a system restore last Sunday to get the junk out, and get the system up to speed. It went well. Tonight I wanted to update the drivers, and the file must have gotten corrupt during download. I got a blue screen saying windows shut down to protect the system. try to restart. I rebooted and got as far as the big "e" (emachines)It said I could repair wit the cd. when I went to restore cd I got a warning all data will be lost. I want to know if I can use a restore cd for a repair or do I have to reformat? I have a t3085 emachines w/xp home. Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

thought I'd might be able to do it an easier way. I just went ahead and reformated, two weeks in a row :angry:

Edited by novi

you may have to borrow a real copy of XP to get to (the recovery Console I would install it if you can) The Emachine restore disk is nothing but a way to access a ghost image on a hidden partition. You can replace file with the recovery console and repair the Master boot record without loosing any data. the restore disk will kill it all.

You can do a full or a repair install with the Emachine recovery disk.

I know, because I have an Emachine with recovery disks & did a full & a repair install on mine.

I was prompted to make the disks when I first started the machine.

It spat out 3 copies.

They are all identical.

I have XP Home/SP2.

Using sfc /scannow might help.