I was working on an HP computer that seemed to have python-2.2 installed, it was listed in add/remove programs. This is a new computer that is used at my the hair salon my wife works at. I mention that because I am fairly certain noboby installed python. Why would python come preinstalled on an HP computer?

I was working on an HP computer that seemed to have python-2.2 installed, it was listed in add/remove programs. This is a new computer that is used at my the hair salon my wife works at. I mention that because I am fairly certain noboby installed python. Why would python come preinstalled on an HP computer?

HP installs python along with Quicken, Music Match, and a whole but-load of other crap

I never could figure out exactly why for python though

From the Python FAQ:

"Some Windows machines also have Python installed. At this writing we're aware of computers from Hewlett-Packard and Compaq that include Python. Apparently some of HP/Compaq's administrative tools are written in Python."

Edited by jcl
hmmm, Thats cool =P wish my computer came with Python, instead of having to wait a whole 10secs for the download =/

the cool part was HP was using a free open source langage. In all honesty it is an old verion of python. I would prefer to use python-2.4 myself.