I have just started a small pc repair business, Bright-Eyed Computer. So far most of the jobs I have gotten have been windows related, mainly reinstalling windows and removing adware. I have gotten a few calls about repairing hardware on laptops. I expect to get quite a few calls for common things to go bad like optical drives and power boards. I could really use some suggestions on good reliable places to get these items. Any suggestions or links to sights that you know are good would be appreciated. I am not talking about places like newegg, but distibuters that sell proprietary laptop parts.

Thanks for any suggestions :-)

how much it cost to start up your own business

Wholesale distribution company specializing in laptop parts and components

http://www.netecnica.com/

thanks for the suggestion, but that place seems to have just standard parts, I need to find some good sources to get proprietary laptop parts.

As to the cost to starting the business. I have $230/ month in expenses between the phone and yellow pages ad. I have quite a few other expensenses, like tools that I need to run my business, which included a laptop.

The toughest part is being able to answer the phone all of the time. It drives me crazy being at work(my other job), and misisng business calls. As things are going, I seem to be makeing a little money above my expenses, but not enough to quit my day job(actually nights). In time I should start getting referals(my customers seem happy), then maybe I will be able to quit my day job, and focus on the business 100%

edit added later//

I just noticed you changed your link, so maybe this new lnk has more proprietary parts.

Edited by shanenin

For older laptops I get parts machines on ebay. In my experience,the manufacturers don't like to sell parts.They want you to send it in and let them fix it so they can charge you $200 for a 20 minute job.

Example: Compaq... I had to replace the touchpad assembly. Found a parts box on ebay for $30 including shipping. Part worked fine,about 20 minutes to install. Compaq wanted MINIMUM $100. PLus I ended up with a spare keyboard and working display for that model.

I have a laptop here now (IDP Vaqero) that nobody (including Crucial,etc) seems to have even heard of. Just need some memory. So I am watching eBay.

proprietary laptop parts.

An unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits

Protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights

^^^^^ that says it all... Used or big bucks...

I have just started a small pc repair business, Bright-Eyed Computer. So far most of the jobs I have gotten have been windows related, mainly reinstalling windows and removing adware. I have gotten a few calls about repairing hardware on laptops. I expect to get quite a few calls for common things to go bad like optical drives and power boards. I could really use some suggestions on good reliable places to get these items. Any suggestions or links to sights that you know are good would be appreciated. I am not talking about places like newegg, but distibuters that sell proprietary laptop parts.

Thanks for any suggestions :-)

Good luck with the biz!

Laptops are NOT easy to find parts for.

I've been trying to locate a video card for my Inspiron 8200 for 3 days.

I dealt with an idiot from Dell Parts today and had to take 3 tylenols afterwards.

I'd been better off talking to my cat.

Anyway, try Parts-People.

And as mentioned, Ebay. But most parts on Ebay are NOT cheap unless you really hunt, and they are used, usually pulled from "working" laptops. So you'll never have any warranty after a week or so.

Good luck.

Joe