If it's a CRT, set the refresh rate to it's highest level. That helps get rid of some of the "flicker".

Also, if you do alot of read, turn the brightness down.

75- 85mghz is usually high enough some monitors cannot handle the refresh rate higher. Usually the setting beyond capability will not be displayed as a option but I have seen dangerous refresh rate displayed as a option. I have my brightness down to 65% occassionally lower.

Preston

Looks like your refresh rate is already high enough (85Mhz). Since it's a CRT monitor you can set your resolution at anything that suits your fancy, 1024 on a 17" monitor makes things pretty small. That's great for fitting more information onscreen at one time, but it can be more difficult to read text. A lower resolution might give you some relief (at the expense of having less information onscreen).

If lowering the resolution doesn't help (after you give it some time to get used to the difference), or possibly in ANY case, you'll probably need to take more breaks. Focusing your eyes at different distances helps "stretch" your eye muscles & helps them relax (like a seventh inning stretch for your eyes!).

As said above, your refresh rate seems to be good. Turning the brightness down will help if you don't play games much and what seems to help for my dad is the 800x600 resolution on his 17-inch CRT because anything higher he says he cannot read clearly even though there is more displayed.

A comfortable seating position not too close to the screen will also do wonders.

At the end, just take plenty of breaks as JDoors. Get up, walk around, do whatever it takes.

turning on clear type option if it is not on is also a good Idea:

Turn on ClearType Font-Rendering Technology

Published: July 16, 2001

Submitted by Kevin Konikowski, Tolland, Connecticut

Get that extra text clarity you've always wanted. The incredible Microsoft ClearType® technology can be enabled in Windows XP to smooth all fonts at all sizes, making the whole system so much easier to read. I don't know how I lived without it! To turn on ClearType:

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Appearance and Themes.

Click the Display icon, click the Appearance tab, and then click Effects.

Click the Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts check box to select it, and select ClearType from the list.

Click OK, and then click OK again.

Happy reading.