Problem, Linksys, Xp And Me

I moved my computer and now the connection to my daughter's computer which is ME, is not working from my computer with XP. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? We also have my son's computer connected, also XP and both mine and my son's work but my daughter's is not receiving internet connection. Thanks!

If you plug out your daughters computer, and then plug it in and watch the computer icons flash (if they dont, go to Start -> Settings -> network connections -> (probably local area network), right click, properties, a little tick box show in system task bar.

Click the network icon in the system task bar, im not sure where the ip is stuck on windows me, but it might be under a tab called support. Look at the ip address, it should be 192.168.1.XXX, or similar, you can check this by going to one of the windows xp computers and checking.

If its saying an ip thats different you will have to set it to automatically find an ip address, by clicking the properties tab, then clicking on TCP/IP, click "Properties" again, then click "automaticaly find address".

If it is already at that setting, then ill need to know what the model number of the router is.

Pierce

Click the network icon in the system task bar, im not sure where the ip is stuck on windows me, but it might be under a tab called support. Look at the ip address, it should be 192.168.1.XXX, or similar, you can check this by going to one of the windows xp computers and checking.

the IP on the connected XP computer (the main one) begins with 72.38.XXX.XXX ??

The model of the Linksys router is BEFSR41 V.2

Okay i know this seems odd, using the online manual, but its the only way i can reference it,

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

click "User Guide"

go to pages 22, 24 (pdf page, not page number written on manual)

22 has windows me

24 has windows xp

make sure both are setup as such,

If they are setup exactly like the manual, then go to page 35.

The only other thing, if thats not working that i can think of is that mac filtering is enabled, considering that this is a non-wireless device i dont think you need to have mac filtering enabled, but just check, this could be ar reason as to why its not working.

On page 28, theres a reference to something called DHCP, this distributes ip addresses to the computers. Make sure this is enabled.

The last two items can be found by opening your browser and pointing it to

http://192.168.1.1

user:admin

pass:admin

(default settings)

Hope something here works.

Pierce

Edited by Pierce