Fresh Winders Install Help.

Well, my computer wouldnt boot. I got "Your Missing System32\config\system", or something like that. I tried repairing it with the XP disc, but that didnt work.

To save my files on my C partition I installed Windows on my E partition. My question is, is there anyway to have all my programs (which are on my D partition but correspond with my C partition) work with my new windows installation, which is on my E partition?

Some of the programs work (such as Firefox) but others (such as Winamp) dont.

What do i have to do to

A) Get the programs to work

B) Have them show up in the start menu.

Thanks! :wacko::D

Many programs insert instructions and file references in the Windows Registry during installation. Unfortunately, those references often contain information such as the drive the program is on or where files can be found (such as DLL files). So you can't just move the program files from one drive to another as the registry will not contain the important information about where files can be found.

You'll need to run the install or setup for each of those types of programs so the registry and other entries contain the correct references.

Some programs, apparently Firefox among them, don't scatter files around the drive so they can be run from whatever drive you place the executable on.