im trying to save this PNG but the problewm is when i try to Save Image As, it keep using HTML format. I dont want HTML, i want to save PNG. so i tried IE, but it save as bmp. i dont want BMP. all i want is PNG

it from this site, yea yea yea it CastleVania. Im a huge fan of Castlevania since CV:SOTN.

http://dw.com.com/redir?asid=928432&astid=...iolon_ruins.png

(1.) Your link isn't accessible to the general public, one needs to be a "member" to view that page.

(2.) Some possible workarounds.

(A.) When IE insists on saving as a BMP file (and won't offer any other formats) quite often emptying the Temporary Internet Files will correct that behavior.

IE will (usually) again offer to save as JPEG, PNG, or whatever.

(B.) Try renaming the saved BMP file from XYZ.BMP to XYZ.PNG and see if a PNG was actually saved.

(C.) Use Firefox or IE to save the entire page as HTML.

Then open the associated image folder and see if the PNG file you want was downloaded to there.

Edited by CurlingSteve

clearing the temp folder took care the problem, and finally saved the image from IE as in PNG, but i havent use IE for long time, i use it like 2 time a month and the last time i clear up the temp folder was two months ago

Edited by DarkestDream

I'm still surprised you had a problem trying to save it with Firefox.

You're sure you clicked "Save Image As" and not "Save Page As"?

That's the only reason I can think of for Firefox saving as HTML instead of PNG.

As far as I've seen, Firefox doesn't suffer from that Temporary Internet Files overload problem that IE has.

I did Save Image As, it still show up as HTML. i save HTML in my computer, but when i open it up, it all gribbish. i already check it folder but it didnt leave a folder, just the file. When i try to use DownTHEMall extension, it will show up as HTML. i think it because of redirect. when i copy the link location, it have a redirect link in it. that maybe the reason why Firefox is saving it as a HTML.

Or maybe Firefox dont have PNG support yet. but i remember i read one of the log and it said it is PNG supported. or maybe i went A.D.D. on that time ^_^

I did Save Image As, it still show up as HTML. i save HTML in my computer, but when i open it up, it all gribbish.

HTML-gibberish or gibberish-gibberish? Firefox sometimes insists on saving images as files with an .html extension. Renaming the file fixes it.

Edited by jcl
That's one I've never run into.

Is it only with certain sites (which I'm guessing may not be encoded properly)?

Or is it random?

It's only happened to me a few times and it was almost certainly an issue with the sites. Wish I could remember what the sites were so I could investigate.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if the images were served as text/html but the pages that included them set the filetypes correctly in the img or object elements. IINM the former would determine the filetype when the images were loaded directly (resulting in a page of garbage) but the latter might override the server-supplied type when the images were viewed as part of the page (resulting in the correct display). That would explain it.

Edited by jcl

Another option to try:

Go to the page using Firefox.

Click Tools.

Select Page Info.

Click the Media tab.

Scroll through the list at the top, and highlight the image you want to save, then click the Save As... button.