External Hard Drive Problems

Hello all:

I have a hard-drive MP3 player that I currently use as an external hard drive. It's plugged into my PC via USB. It's worked fine doing that for a while now. But recently (within the past few days or so), the drive gives me a Blue Screen of Death saying something to the effect of Cannot Write to H: Drive. It still has plenty of hard drive space. So that's not the problem. I'm not sure what it could be. Also, when I load up mp3 files from the drive, which is the function of the drive, they load up slow in Winamp. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan.

You did not specify what OS you are using. But this sounds like a driver problem. Sometimes the driver file gets corrupted. If you have windows, it could be a registry problem. Either case, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should take care of the problem.

Hello all:

I have a hard-drive MP3 player that I currently use as an external hard drive. It's plugged into my PC via USB. It's worked fine doing that for a while now. But recently (within the past few days or so), the drive gives me a Blue Screen of Death saying something to the effect of Cannot Write to H: Drive. It still has plenty of hard drive space. So that's not the problem. I'm not sure what it could be. Also, when I load up mp3 files from the drive, which is the function of the drive, they load up slow in Winamp. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan.

I am using Windows ME.

You did not specify what OS you are using. But this sounds like a driver problem. Sometimes the driver file gets corrupted. If you have windows, it could be a registry problem. Either case, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should take care of the problem.

Hello all:

Thanks,

Ryan.

Hello all:

I have a hard-drive MP3 player that I currently use as an external hard drive. It's plugged into my PC via USB. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan.

There are many things that could be causing trouble. WinMe can be very flalky, the drive or driver could be at fault, the cable or USB port could be damaged. Even a virus, bad ram or the fact that your C: drive is too full and doesn't have enough extra space, while distant possibilities could be the root of your problems.

Here are a few I would look at in order:

First, try a different USB port. If you have USB 2.0 ports, make sure you use them. You might have them on an add on host card at the back of the machine. You will get better performance on USB 2 ports.

Second: Look carefully at your USB cable ends ... occasionally, lint or other crap can get in the end of the cable and cause a bad connection. If you have another cable try it.

Third: If there was a driver disk with your drive, uninstall it and reinstall it.

Fourth: The next thing I would do is find a friend with a fast computer running WinXp. Just plug in the drive to the XP machine. Does it recognize it? Does it work fine? Does it need software? If yes, test it with it. If not, test it without it. If it doesn't work there, the drive has a problem. Otherwise the problem is with your machine. (Drivers/WindowsME, hardware, virus etc.)

I have even seen accessories that wouldn't run until the WinMe was reinstalled but that is a drastic step and likely wouldn't work either.

I personally hate WinMe and would seriously consider getting a better machine in the future running WinXP or later, although Me may not be the source of your problems.

Best wishes, MM