Pc Build - Need Suggestions

Planning on building PC over Christmas break, it's a family PC - so it will be used for some gaming, moderate video editing, "backing up" DVD's, and photo editing (along with Internet and so on)

It will be replacing the current family PC - obsolete Gateway with PIII and 384 MB RAM - and in a year I leave for college, leaving the computer with my parents so it has to have quality brand parts because they won't know how to fix it (also won't overclock it for same reason).

Here's what I've got so far

MOBO - ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

RAM - 2GB 2x512 kits CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail

HDD - 2 in Raid 0 setup - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CD/DVD - 2 LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner Model SHW-1635S - OEM

Above comes out to a little short of $900,

I am going to use either onboard sound, or take the Sound Blaster card out of the current PC but,

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO FOR A VIDEO CARD - obviously PCI Express, but I'd like it to be in the $200 or less range based on my needs- SO PLEASE COMMENT!

Edited by xxkbxx

I'm not up on desktop video cards (laptop man here).

But if I were you, I'd forget bothering with RAID 0.

You're very unlikely to see any performance benefit from it.

If you bother with any kind of RAID, I'd use RAID 1 (mirroring).

That way if one drive fails the other can take over.

Read performance should be improved, but whether enough to notice? Reports vary.

Personally I'd skip RAID altogether.

Sorry I'm not helping with your question, but I see RAID and I cringe.

The MSI card looks nice, especially the price. I will never do SLI since I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I doubt my parents will take up the hobby.

As far as RAID, there was a high end display computer we had at work (you know, clear case with lights, so a bunch of idiots come in and stare at it for 30 minutes then leave :D ) with RAID 0, and I really liked the speed - I'll have to think about it

Are you sure the speed was from the RAID and not just better (higher RPM) drives in the array?

Also, thinking of the MaPa when you're at school, maybe a RAID 1 array would deliver some increased (at least) read speed while also being fault tolerant should a drive fail.

I like these simple charts and explantions of the various RAID configurations.

AC&NC RAID Tutorials

Are you sure the speed was from the RAID and not just better (higher RPM) drives in the array?

Also, thinking of the MaPa when you're at school, maybe a RAID 1 array would deliver some increased (at least) read speed while also being fault tolerant should a drive fail.

I like these simple charts and explantions of the various RAID configurations.

AC&NC RAID Tutorials

It was normal 7,200RPM, I think I might stick with a normal (no-raid) configuration. However, can anybody tell me from personal experience if WD Raptor (10,000RPM) drives are any good? I had the idea of getting the smaller Raptor (30-something GB) for OS and applications and a separate large capacity drive for data. Several Newegg.com reviews described the Raptor's burning out and failing or being really loud. I personally don't care about the noise factor, but I don't feel like having a HD die out on me - any thoughts?

Speaking of Raptors, i just checked the price on Newegg and 36.7GB drive is $104.50 while the 74GB one is $121.00 after a $40 rebate (ends Monday night)

Is this good enough to jump on now?