I am trying to help my nephew with his computer. He is using Windows XP with a modem. Here is the problem.

One night he was online with no problems and then signed off and shut down. Next morning he tried to go online and got a message which I think was Error 691 – User name and/or ID or password is not recognized on this domain.

He cleared it all out and put the name and password in and still same message. On another computer right next to this one which is using Windows 98, he has the exact same setup/name password etc. and it will connect.

We called the ISP and they said it was all correct.

He had installed service pack 2 but was unsure if the problem occurred immediately after that. As a test we uninstalled pack 2 but still same problems. Nothing else was ever changed.

Thanks for any help

Bruce

Edited by brucebowker

Trydeleting the dial up account form your IE connections windows and then reboot and set it up again as a new account ( same user name/info etc)

Are both pc's trying to get online at the same time? Does your ISP have a restriction against that? Have you tried the Winsock XP fixit tool posted in one of the stickies?