Am having to re-install all programs on a new computer.

I am running Norton Internet Security and wanted to check if it is still important to disable the Norton Anti Virus 2005 during actual installations... as it was with earlier versions of Norton.

If so, I assume this is also true when installing Windows updates?

Will appreciate your time very much. n

Am having to re-install all programs on a new computer.

I am running Norton Internet Security and wanted to check if it is still important to disable the Norton Anti Virus 2005 during actual installations... as it was with earlier versions of Norton.

If so, I assume this is also true when installing Windows updates?

Will appreciate your time very much. n

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Can't see why you need to do that? I have never heard of it.

Has anyone else?

Not all software installations make changes that can trigger an AV program but some do. IF you get your installation programs from sources you have every reason to believe are safe (for instance; the original disks, sites you trust that scan their files), then disabling antivirus programs during the install can prevent certain kinds of installation problems.

Once you re-enable the AV it will still be able to recognize the presence of any viruses (and for the better programs, activities that are suspiciously viral in nature).

The best course of action would be to read the installation instructions and if they say disable AV programs (still minding where you got the program from) then do so, otherwise leave it on, but if the install fails at least you know where one possible conflict may have occcurred.

Windows updates are apparently written with AV programs in mind as they do not, as far as I know, recommend turning off your AV to install them.

I Can't see why you need to do that? I have never heard of it.

Has anyone else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're one of those 'never read the manual' type of persons, aren't you? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I read manuals but we are talking M$ updates here and I have never read that it should be done. As you stated most programs with explicitedly express when it is necessary to disable the AV.

... we are talking M$ updates here ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may only be addressing OS updates but the OP asked about software in general in addition to updates.

I am thinkin' it's one of those legacies from the past; fewer and fewer programs recommend turning of AV, AV has gotten more intelligent, installation programs have gotten more intelligent, and XP, because of the way it 'compartmentallizes' programs, probably has less of a problem with the issue.

... we are talking M$ updates here ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may only be addressing OS updates but the OP asked about software in general in addition to updates.

I am thinkin' it's one of those legacies from the past; fewer and fewer programs recommend turning of AV, AV has gotten more intelligent, installation programs have gotten more intelligent, and XP, because of the way it 'compartmentallizes' programs, probably has less of a problem with the issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Norton applications or any of the latest AV programs will slow down installations at times (since they usually scan files as installation files are being extracted) and maybe this is what may cause problems on sub-Win2000 PCs. Win98 and WinME would probably get overwhelmed and give some error, but Windows XP should be able to do a better job.

I have had the experience of my Avast 4.6 Pro prompting me during the installation of Windows Messenger 5.1, but I ignored it and I don't have any problems now.

Edited by Falcon1986