Networking Help Needed Please.

Hi gang it's me again. This time I need some help with my small home network. OK hears the deal. I have my Compaq Presario 5000 with XP home. I also have cable with a U.S. Robotics router that is hardwired, not wireless. My Dell 4600 has XP pro. Hears the deal, under local area connection on the Compaq when I go to local area connection properties, gen tab, internet protocol (TCP/IP) and properties I have the cheek in the area ware it says use the following IP address that starts out with 192.168.123.23

Subnet mask 255.***.***.0

Default Gateway192.168.123.***

DNS. server 66.***.**.***

Preferred DND server 66.***.**.*** These numbers work on the Compaq but when I went into the Dell all this was greyed out so I set that up the same way the Compaq is and it messes up my internet connection, but when the Dell's internet local area network properties are all greyed out but will let me surf the web. But I want to get my network back up and running. When I try to view the workgroup computers I get nothing. I tried the network wizzard and it suggested to set it up manually. I also have Norton AV. 2003 on both and even disabled the firewall on both but I can't see either comp. This too is new to me so be easy on me. I had a tech network this back in April of this year and i am not going to have him back out hear when I am sure one of you nice people will help me threw it. I know it's a number thing on the Dell but I am not sure about what set up of numbers need to be set up in the IP addy. Thanks.

Forgot to mention the workgroup is the same on both comps.

Which computer are you going to use as the main connection to the web, the Compaq? If the properties are greyed out in the Dell's options then it is set to obtain IP automatically which you will need to change on Compaq accordingly (set it to obtain IP automatically as well). Reboot Compaq first.. then the Dell. If there is still a problem after that, then make sure your changing the right connection and not your main connection first. Then go to Internet settings and under the connections tab click on the button that says LAN settings and make sure "Automatically detect proxy settings" is UNCHECKED. Try that and post back