New Laptop Help/networking Question ( I Think)

Ok that wasnt a plee but a request. I have a $1000 budget on a laptop. I need it for wifi purposes as i am planning to get into networking. I need to know a few questions ( since i have a minute knowledge in that field).

Would it be cheaper to get a laptop that has wifi built into it ( wifi capabilities) or to buy a seperate card.

Also can you guys list a few good laptops in that price range. No gaming just internet, wireless, word documents, maybe a little photoshop ( when on road), chatting on aim.

Jose

Well, depends i think a USB wifi connecter costs $40 or so. The built in pci-mini wireless cards are usualy $100~? Shop around at your favourite online store and find out.

Acer make nice laptops, not too pricy either. Some of dell's laptops are good, but support is iffy at the moment. I think youd be pushing the limit looking for a sony, but its worth a shot.

Photoshop, other than its load time, doesnt take much time, until you render. But anything over 1000mhz is going to be fast.

Pierce

Well, in terms of wifi, I suggest you get a built in one. Reason is that its just much more workable--no fussing about a card jutting out of the computer, and the laptop is built to work with it right out of the box.

Well, as you said, you don't need much--just enough for surfing, word processing, and the occasional media working. I'd suggest you go for an Intel Pentium, does matter if its P4 or PM, as either one will be fast enough for you. If you feel you will mostly be working near a desk, take a P4; if you feel you will be on the road a lot, opt for a PM.

As for RAM, 256MB should suffice, though taking more couldn't hurt :D.

Harddrive space, thats completely your choice, whatever you will feel comfortable with.

Here is one that is $1000, its pretty good. If you check certain "deal websites", you can find extremely low prices for laptops. Be ware, though, they only come once in a while...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=04&l=en&s=bsd

and some deal websites:

http://www.slickdeals.net

http://www.bensbargains.net

Okay i suggest for a cheap but a great performing laptop Averatec Fast,reliable and affordable. This laptop would work great for what you are asking but for gaming you would need to look into something else probably. You can find them at your walmart store LOL yup Walmart but don't think because they are sold at Walmart they are cheaply made. they are great little laptops. i never had to use them but i have herd the customer support is pretty good as well. I have suggested them to several people and they have not complained to me once.

Okay i suggest for a cheap but a great performing laptop Averatec Fast,reliable and affordable. This laptop would work great for what you are asking but for gaming you would need to look into something else probably. You can find them at your walmart store LOL yup Walmart but don't think because they are sold at Walmart they are cheaply made. they are great little laptops. i never had to use them but i have herd the customer support is pretty good as well. I have suggested them to several people and they have not complained to me once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have also heard Averatec were quite thin and light...I wanted to get one, but could never find them :D.

First of all, you do not have to spend $1000 anymore for a good laptop.

Look at Dell.

Second, most modern laptops have built in mini pc cards for wireless.

But if they don't, wireless USB or Pcmcia cards are VERY cheap. Like $20.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. At the time (3 years ago) I paid about $1800.

I could get the same one on Ebay today for $500.

I use is for EVERYTHING except gaming (which I'm not interested in).

Music, Photoshop, internet, etc.

It works fine. The key is to max out the ram. But do that with aftermarket ram.

You should be able to get a great new XP laptop for your needs for $700 max.

If you need, I'll send you some links.

Good luck,

Joe

First of all, you do not have to spend $1000 anymore for a good laptop.

Look at Dell.

Second, most modern laptops have built in mini pc cards for wireless.

But if they don't, wireless USB or Pcmcia cards are VERY cheap. Like $20.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. At the time (3 years ago) I paid about $1800.

I could get the same one on Ebay today for $500.

I use is for EVERYTHING except gaming (which I'm not interested in).

Music, Photoshop, internet, etc.

It works fine. The key is to max out the ram. But do that with aftermarket ram.

You should be able to get a great new XP laptop for your needs for $700 max.

If you need, I'll send you some links.

Good luck,

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, maxing out RAM is no substitute for a good processor, but still, most processors out today for laptops are more than enough for what most people do. Chances are you won't even need to max out the RAM.

Good luck with laptop shopping! Don't forget to check out local stores' special deals and such...

Take a look at the Dell M600 series, solid afforadable notebook with built in wifi that actually works well and you can get 512 of ram in it for about $1000. Use student discounts and sales to save even more.

Do yourself a favor, Do not get a Sony. The new ones are possibly the most problematic ones I have seen since the old old Compaqs. and thats not a compliment :(

I'd either go for an IBM, Dell, Toshiba or Gateway. Other smaller companies are ok, but chances are the cheapest prices are going to be for the big sellers.

I suggest you go to a local store and ask if they have any laptops on clearance. Most probably those laptops are going to be open box, but trust me, you can save over $300 (easily) if you opt for open box...