She kept signing in on Web Messenger, so that ment to me she didnt have MSN installed, I asked her why she always uses Web Messenger, she said her PC wont let her install 7.0 or anything, she either has to use Web Messenger or Windows Messenger. She said she had a Dell, that is fairly new too. When she goes to install it she get an Error Code of '1601'

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

She kept signing in on Web Messenger, so that ment to me she didnt have MSN installed, I asked her why she always uses Web Messenger, she said her PC wont let her install 7.0 or anything, she either has to use Web Messenger or Windows Messenger. She said she had a Dell, that is fairly new too. When she goes to install it she get an Error Code of '1601'

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

??

what has she got? and what specifically does she wish to install?

iow - what OS? what messenger is installed? and what is the intention here?

eg - she's got win xp pro, msn messenger version x, wants msn messenger version y.

since there are varying versions of 'messenger' ... name them all exactly so that it's clear what she's got and what she wants. more or less ;)

do this

To Correct Windows Installer Do This:

click Start, Run, and then "copy" and "paste" the following command into the box:

%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\msiexec.exe /regserver

(DON'T FORGET THE "SPACE" BETWEEN msiexec.exe and /regserver)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is an easier way to do that.

Another thing you can try is the following. Click Start, then Run. Type: msiexec /unreg and press enter. When this is done repeat it but now fill in msiexec /regserver.

Sane thing but dont have to type as much. :thumbsup:;)