So I Bought A New Nic Today...

...And I still cannot connect to the internet with this computer. Like I said earlier my power went out for two days and when it came back on I could only connect with one of my two comps. I was getting a 169.xxx Ip address, which im being told that it is a false address. Later Iwas told that could mean that my nic was fried. I just bought a new nic and installed it and the same ip address is popping up and still I cannot connect to the internet.

Is my motherboard friend possibly? Everything else, I mean EVERTHING, works just find on this comp. Just cant connect to internet. Any suggestions?

...And I still cannot connect to the internet with this computer. Like I said earlier my power went out for two days and when it came back on I could only connect with one of my two comps. I was getting a 169.xxx Ip address, which im being told that it is a false address. Later Iwas told that could mean that my nic was fried. I just bought a new nic and installed it and the same ip address is popping up and still I cannot connect to the internet.

Is my motherboard friend possibly? Everything else, I mean EVERTHING, works just find on this comp. Just cant connect to internet. Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DHCP or static?

Check your wire...start with the simple things. If you installed the NIC into the mother board, powered on the PC and then installed the drivers accordingly, plug the ethernet cord into the NIC and have at it.

THELETTERK, if he is running static then he won't see the 169.x.x.x.

If you connect directly to a modem (cable, dsl) power off the modem and then power it back on with the Ethernet cables hooked up and the computer on. I should clear an ARP cache and remove the old MAC address from itself, replacing the information with the new. If you run a router or Level 2 switch on your network (if this is greek you might not) reset them as well...

Let me know if this helps...