This is what I owuld like to do if it is possible.. Everytime I go home and quite often my dad will call me to fix his computer. Sometimes this has to wait untill I go home for a visit. Is there a safe way I can connect to hi computer and take over control to fix the problems as they arise? If so what do I need to do and what does he need to do at his end.. Thank

You can, do a google for vnc.

VNC is a remote desktop protocol, and there are many free clients and servers.

One VNC server/client for Windows that I have used is TightVNC (and I used it on XP Home if you want to know)

Just set it up, forward any ports needed so you can connect from the internet, and you are set (if the server on that computer is running, just add the link to start it to Startup)

The best VNC program (and ive used Real, Tight, Windows w/e) is UltraVNC, it is extremly easy to setup and a quick download. Be sure to set it up on your dads (allow it though the firewall, start on startup so on and so forth). I wouldnt use the windows one because if theres ever a day when you need to do it with linux... then you will be familyar with a program and you wont have to migrate.

The link for UltraVNC is http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net

Pierce

The best VNC program (and ive used Real, Tight, Windows w/e) is UltraVNC, it is extremly easy to setup and a quick download. Be sure to set it up on your dads (allow it though the firewall, start on startup so on and so forth). I wouldnt use the windows one because if theres ever a day when you need to do it with linux... then you will be familyar with a program and you wont have to migrate.

The link for UltraVNC is http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net

Pierce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>