Hi everyone.

I'm not a network person by all means. Haven't had a need to get that involved in it.

But I got a e-mail asking for help on a problem, so I'm bringing it here for you network gurus, Can you give me a helping hand on this one?

Here is the e-mail:

I just happen to find your site,while doing a search in google for a problem i am facing.

so i checked your site and found it impressive and you have been kind enough to give your email address for any help you can do.

I have a problem and i hope you will be able to help me out.

i have a deskstop Pc P4 and have created partitions and very neatly i have installed win xp home,then winxp pro,win 2000 pro and suse linux and all seem to be working fine.

recently i got a toshiba laptop with xp home installed and i created another partition and installed xp pro too on the laptop.

Now i wanted to creat a network between my desktop pc and laptop.

so i got a D link network card PCI DFE-550Tx and cross cable of 5 mtrs (original)

and installed the network card on my desktop then the drivers and my laptop has a built in network support.

I connected both together and siting with both i ran the network setup wizzard on both gave IP 192.168.100.51......on the other 52.ran a ping command and got through everything.

Now my main problem.....when i click view network computers i can see both the network on each other.

from the desktop i can acccess the laptop with no problem.but from the laptop i cant access the desktop,and gives the following error,

"\\destop is not accessible,you might not have permission to use the network resource.contact the administor of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied".

I ran the network wizzard again tried all set ups disabled firwall and did most of what i could see.

where exactly i need to give permission or it that since i have operating systems installed on different partitions is it a problem.?

I tried this set up with xp home to xp home.

In xp pro i have no problem and can access both ways,only one thing in pro it shows another group from my home which is also not accessible from xp pro on my deskstop.

I really dont know where i should give this permissions in the deskstop home xp setup.

also one one thing i noticed i tried to run SFC /scannow in xp home but it asked for the xp pro cd?? and still refused to do a scan.is there a way to seperate this problem in the registry,as i had installed xp home first and then xp pro,so i feel its reconising both as xp pro!!!

rest all is working well with a dial up and no other errors.

I dont want to Format as this is a last thing to do.

So i hope i have not confused you,and have tried my best to put a clear picture before you.

If you need to know anything more i can write to you,and would appreciate hearing from you with a strong dose to solve the same.

Cheers! Best Wishes.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me here.

If neeb be....I will direct him here to BTs for more help if this might turn out to be more involved processes.

Edited by JSKY

Hmmm....sounds like an odd problem. I'd go through the setup wizard once more, from the laptop, with you, and figure out what the options are at each page. That may not fix the problem, but it may help you get a better picture of what options are left.

hello and hi to you all here,

well the problem posted by JSKY is for me,& i like to thank JSKY for a prompt reply and linking me to this forum to solve the problem i have.

as my problem is already posted here i like to here from you experts as to where i am missing the link to give permissions from xp home to xp home.

its just a simple network i am trying out and this problem should not arise.

I just got into gpedit.msc but i really dont see anything to change there,if need be do let met know.

looking forward to solving this problem.any more info required from my side i will post.

cheers

trevtech :thumbsup:

I have had this problem before on xp home. The cause was that there were no shared files for it to access so it errors in a nice windows style way, telling you nothing about what has caused it.

All i did was to right click a single folder somewhere, go to the sharing tab, and clicked share this folder.

And all was ok.

Check you are sharing files and see if that helps

~ihth~

• 2 weeks later...

User Permissions...try adding a the laptop as a trusted (delegated) machine to the XP Pro network...if you are able to...Also do the user names vary on the Desktop and the PC. Try adding the same user names on both and see if that does the trick.

There are some networking features available through XP Pro that don't work on XP Home such as root browsing (meaning you can only visit what you share), Adding to a Domain (home is always set up in a workgroup environment), and some network delegation (meaning authenticating/authorizing).