I was encoding a bunch of movies, so I decided to check my temp of the processor. it was running 85 degrees C. That was very close to frying. I opened up my case and started blowing a fan in it, the tmep has now dropped to 68.

The case and mobo are a very bad combo. The heatsink sits directly behind the power supply, it gets no circulation. I think I am going to make a hole on the top of my case for ventalation.

It does not help to have a temp of 85 degrees F in my house.

Shanenin, did you download one of those gadgets I've read about to read the temperature, or is there a way you can check the temperature without getting a gadget? (less "stuff" on the box, the better, I say!) I have WindowsXP on one idiot box and Windows98 on the other.

And when its 85 degrees in the upper Midwest, its a reason to celebrate, isn't it? :) Summers in the North don't last long enough!

Liz

yeah you need a fan really. couple of years ago I had a problem with the comp keep crashing. Overheating was the problem. had to add two fans, one blowing in and the other blowing out, still running that same basic box, have just loded SuSe 9.1 on it

I really like Suse

Shanenin, did you download one of those gadgets I've read about to read the temperature, or is there a way you can check the temperature without getting a gadget?

it is whatever came with my motherboard. I did not install a seprerate guage.

I do have an intake fan in front and an outtake in back. The problem is my heatsink is completely blocked in a corner by the powersuppy. no matter how much air I get circulating, no air is getting near the heatsink. I think I am going to seriously mod my case. I want to cut a hole in the top above the heatsink, then place a fan that will exaust and draw air directly over it.

that sounds like it should work good, although if the room temp is 85 as well it is a little harder to get that temp down. I had to take the cover off one of my comps to cool down the cd player, it almost ruined a cd

Sooo, how does one check the computer's temperature? I assume inserting a thermometer under it's tongue wouldn't work :D And how hot is too hot? Geez, my outdoor thermometer only goes to 50C/120F, I betcha 85C is REALLY feverish!

Liz

you could look in the bios and see if there is a monitor in there. Many computers have this feature even if it hasn't been activated. I knowthat probably scares you but it really isn't hard to do. If you want to check there are plenty of people who can talk you through it. Just let us know

Hey, Robroy and Jimras,

Thank you for the info!!! These suggestions are keepers. I probably will end up with the download, since bios stuff scares me to death (lesser of two evils?), but will probably wait on both and sit on this stuff unless it starts acting like its overheating

And Shanenin, it would be a good excuse to get AC ;) Although, if you're like me, it makes no sense for something that would be used about six weeks a year!

Liz