I have a cable modem. so i want to get a router. i want to get a Linksys. but i see alot of wireless routers on sale. i do not have a wireless set up. i have only one computer that is wired. i just want to have a router to use it as a fire wall. Which model Linksys will work for me. thanks

Hi Whiskers,

First of all, welcome to BT! This place is a very nice place and full of experts and you'll get plenty of answers real soon. Have a look around.

Secondly, although I can't help you, I'm glad you posted as I want to get a router, too (thinking Christmas present for the kids) and also have cable and wired machines. Now, I assume you do have a software firewall and spyware protection, right?

I DO believe you're on the right track thinking of a Linskys, as I have heard they are the best.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and learn right along with you :thumbsup:

Liz

Hi Whiskers,

First of all, welcome to BT!  This place is a very nice place and full of experts and you'll get plenty of answers real soon.  Have a look around.

Secondly, although I can't help you, I'm glad you posted as I want to get a router, too (thinking Christmas present for the kids) and also have cable and wired machines.  Now, I assume you do have a software firewall and spyware protection, right?

I DO believe you're on the right track thinking of a Linskys, as I have heard they are the best.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and learn right along with you :thumbsup:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the greeting. i use zone alarm and i use ad -aware and microsoft anti spyware. i have heard that a software firewall can now be disabled so i want something with more protection. i see the linksys wireless router on sale alot but i dont know if i can use that with my wired computer or if its cheaper to just get a wired router since thats all i will be using it for.

Well, you could get a wireless router from linksys and only use the hard wired aspect of it, but still, that could compromise your security; I'd just go and pick up a 4-port linksys wired router, they are pretty cheap these days. However, Linksys is more expensive than the others; Netgear and D-link, as well as other cheaper companies, in my opinion are quite as good for the reason you want the router for.

As for a firewall, regardless of a router or not, i'd suggest you use a software firewall to supplement your security. Some excellent (and free) ones are Kerio and ZoneAlarm.

I have used Linksys wired and wireless routers and they performed well for me. I am currently using a D-link and that has worked just great, too. I think any of the 4 port wired routers will work just fine for what you want.

Good luck.

Jim

don't buy a wireless router if you aren't using the wireless part. just get a regular linksys or dcom router, I have usrd a dcom for two years without any problems, I also use a dcom cable modem. Another good free software firewall is sygate personal firewall.

By the way welcome aboard

Well, I for one am happy that there are other alternatives than Linskys!! All I ever heard good things about was Linskys and its great to know there are cheaper choices!!

And Whiskers, you might want to also check out the spyware section of the forums, thanks to the good folks here, I also use Spywareblaster--it's kinda a firewall for spyware, blocks cooties before they can get to your computer (I especially like it because its easy!) in addition to Adaware and Spybot. And thanks for letting me barge in on your question :)

Liz