Dvd Drive Recognises Cds As Audio Cds..

My dad brought home a computer (win98) with a dvd-rom drive on it. The computer recognises the drive as a dvd drive on the hardware manager list. But whenever i put in any cd, it recognises the cd as an audio cd when its not. The dvd drive is a MSI drive btw.

Check the Drivers that were install with the device. Although in the device manager list it is understood to be a DVD device, it might not have the correct drivers install for it to read anything other than a "Audio" CD. Start with the simple stuff...Cables and Power plugged into it, on the inside of the case...correct drivers from the actual manufacture or disk...and just double check the disk on another device before the one in the computer...Let me know what you come up with...i think this will help a little....

Hey there... i suspect its the driver too. But the box didnt come with anything else except a dvd player software.

I tried the drive on my XP machine and it works flawlessly without the need to install additional drivers. The funny thing is the box even states its compatible with Win98.

I also tried finding the drivers at the MSI website but couldnt find any.

I forgot the model of the drive hmmm... <_<

well in the end i took out the drive and put it on my XP machine..the drive worked.. so i checked the specs on the other machine..it was a 600Mhz with 128MB ram so i jus reformated it and put XP on it.

And now the drive works...o well... :P