OK--you've all heard me rant and rave about how I didn't want SP2. Well, over the weekend, I tried three times to get it to install and work and it wouldn't. I finally ended up with a totally screwed up computer. The problem is a conflict between the security panel (installed w/SP2) and my Norton AV. That is a really long story and not really relavant to this problem.

I ended up having to do a boot from CD and repair the OS and then I removed SP2 and got my computer back to the supposed state that it was in before I started messing around with it. Well, not quite. Here's the problem, and it's not really that big a problem, but it bugs me anyway.

When I installed my new HD a few weeks ago, and did a clean install of XP pro, after I got all done and would boot up, my desktop was ready to use in 28 seconds! That's right, power on.....28 secsonds later, I could start doing what I wanted to.

Now, after all the installing, and un-installing and repairing, it takes almost 2 minutes to boot up. What I am seeing now is the two-tones blue screen that says "loading windows" or "starting windows" and that screen holds for over a minute. It used to go to the black screen that said "loading Windows XP" and then right to a blue screen that said loading personal settings and done!!

Now............what's changed?? I did the disk clean up and I defragged the prefetch file like Jsky said to do but that really didn't change anything.

Anybody got any insight into what I can do, other than a complete reformat and reinstall again!!! I REALLY don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Do you have Norton installed on your PC now and when you did the SP2 install?

There have been reported problems when upgrading to SP2 with Norton installed. (but not in all cases).

One way that works, is to uninstall Norton before doing the upgrade to SP2. The best way is to uninstall Norton, is to use the install disk. Run the disk as you would to install Norton. When you get to the part (been awhile since I used Norton) that list whats going to be installed. there should be a dropdown list for each component. It should say something along these lines. Install to hard drive, do not install to hard drive, and I believe one more option. Put checks at "Do not install on Hard Drive". This will cause Norton to uninstall it's self without causing future problems.

Here is a list that will also help when installing SP2. I have permission to use this help file. and is listed on my site.

It is best for the Home User to wait until they see it available at windows update to get it. This way you will get a significantly smaller download and installer based on what patches you already have and which ones you still need.

I suggest that if you choose to enable automatic updates, you set them to prompt only, not to install automatically.

Cherokee Chief provided this advice when SP1 came out and I am including it here since it is still valid for installing SP2

Ok here is what you need to do.

1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.

2. Clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.

3. Defrag the hard drive.

4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.

5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.

6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.

7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.

These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.

After about a week of running the service pack and you find that you do not need the back up files, here is the info on how to remove the archived files.

SP1 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:

If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version \Uninstall

If you no longer wish to uninstall SP1 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.

After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.

I have been running the service pack since it came out and before it was released when it was a beta package. I have not had any problems with it at all. As long as you follow the instructions I gave you should not have any problems with it.

Although written for XPSP1, this is still the best advice known of for install of SP2.

Note that due to the threat of modern network aware worms you should turn on the XP firewall before disabling your firewall.

Also, those with spybot resident shield and teatimer should shut them off too.

Pete Covell; Moderator for G4TechTV adds.

Here is what we have gathered so far as the best advice for a safe install.

1. Back up your data to be safe. You should have been doing this all along, but this gives a good excuse to catch up on it.

2. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag. Good standard maintenance and definitely worth doing now so that things are clean when you do your Service Pack 2 install.

3. If you have an XP CD, do a system file check. This way you have all damaged or missing dlls and system files replaced before you do the Service Pack 2 install so that it is working with a solid install. Put your XP install cd in your cdrom drive and go to start/ run and type

sfc /scannow

hit enter. It will start windows file protection and compare all files to the original install or update patches (The $NTuninstall files in windows). If it says failed, hit retry, it just means something is using it and you have to hit retry to pause the process. May take two or three clicks of retry.

4. Restart computer

5. Turn off your antivirus; make sure script blocking is disabled. Enable the windows firewall (right click on your connection in network places and choose protect with ICF) and disable your current firewall. If you have spybot run and choose advanced interface (under mode) and under tools go to resident and disable resident shield and tea timer.

6. Run the install if you downloaded it or windows update if you are doing it that way. It will take some time so be patient. Do not panic if things seem to stop. Get a sandwich or something. Just check back to see if you have to click something else.

7. When it finishes and asks to restart, choose no: I will restart later and then finish. Re enable your antivirus (but leave off script blocking) and firewall.

8. Restart PC. It will take a bit longer than normal on reboot, but not extremely long. It should finish with a prompt to enable automatic updates and verify your firewall and antivirus. If Norton antivirus, it may not properly interface so you may have to choose the do not monitor my antivirus it checks for updates itself.

9. Re enable spybot resident shield. It will warn of a new IE toolbar (which warns of sites trying to run active x or install things behind your back) and a lock of the blank.htm web page file to prevent its being replaced by coolwebsearch. Re enable script blocking in your antivirus.

10. One final step I like to do is clear the prefetch file. This will make sure windows does not waste time while booting looking for files which were replaced. I prefer using X-setup to do this, but you can just locate windows/ prefetch and delete the contents.

Six notes.

1. All the add/ remove programs entries for old hot fixes disappear and are replaced with a single Service Pack2 uninstaller.

2. Many of the $NTuninstall entries likewise disappear. Only those installed independently of the service pack remain.

3. Double-check your security settings in IE and services settings. This resets everything to default settings, which may not be as restrictive as you or I like. It reset my Internet zone security to medium for example and would turn on some "services" which gamers had disabled. Double-check the performance tab in control panel / system / advanced. In other words, double check all your settings since most will be set to SP2 defaults. These are more restrictive than SP1 defaults, but still not as restrictive as I like.

4. Norton Antivirus. If you have a Norton product you will have to run Live Update Manually twice after you install SP2. This will install an update to NAV itself and a WMI patch to allow it to integrate with the Windows Security Console. You can now go back and if you previously selected "I have an antivirus and will monitor it myself." you can now uncheck it and NAV will integrate with the windows security console. NAV may ask if you want to allow other software to be informed of its status, approve this.

5. It has been reported that third party "hacked" drivers may develop or cause problems, so if you have any it is strongly advised that you uninstall them and install the latest approved drivers from the manufacturer prior to doing the upgrade. Failure to do so may make it very difficult to install either driver.

6. If you have a browser other than IE set as default browser, after the upgrade make sure to go to tools/ internet options/ programs (in IE) and verify that IE should check to see that it is the default browser is not checked.

Found one out with SP2 And Blackviper. To receive updates after upgrading to XP SP2

To get updates through the new download site. You MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING ENABLED!!!

1. Auto Update (you can set it to download and notify you)

2. Background Intelligence Transfer Service

3. Event Logs

Went through and found if you go through blackvipers list of safe settings You must leave these running to get updates from M$ download site.

Just a heads up. The auto update will not work if you disable any of these.

When I installed SP2, I had completely disabled NAV . I use a program called "startup.exe" to monitor what loads with windows and how it loads.

After unchecking all the various modules, I then rebooted XP and confirmed that nothing else was running in the background. I did all the prep work of backing up and defragging and all that stuff, too.

After getting SP 2 installed, I did manage to get the security console to open ONCE. When I restarted the NAV stuff, that's when everything went to heck.

I suppose I could just bite the bullet and get another AV program, but I have had such good luck with Norton over the years.

What are your thoughts on different AV programs that work well with SP2??

have you read the security notes in win updates .

all navs are suppoesed to be compatable wth sp2.

i have 2 scanners on my sys.

and i havent had any trouble.

tho i must stress one isnt nortons.

so looking at your post your problem is either nortons or you.

there arnt may people who have problems with sp2.

and the ones that do blame every thing else but them selves.

tho in your case yours is the forth post ive read where sp2

and nortons clash.

as i dont use nortons so i cant comment.

tho it looks as tho nortons does clash with sp2.

good luck

marty

I switched from Norton to McAfee, about 4 years ago, And up to a year ago switched from McAfee to Avast. I have been running Avast Free for over a year now and really like the program. Have no problems with it running with SP2. Only word of warning with Avast is to disable the warning sounds. First infected e-mail I got, set it off. And it sounded like the whole police dept. was right at my door. Wakes you right up....LOL

But it scans everything you would want it to. I would recommend Avast to everyone for a good AV protection.

Edited by JSKY

Anyone using SP2 and Mcafee? I use Mcafee Internet Suite, because it's what I learned on, so its easy for me and I get it free with rebates in January. Would love a "heads up" before SP2 "might" be forced upon us in April. Thanks, Liz

You should have no problems with McAfee. Just follow the advice listed already about shutting down your AV before doing the upgrade to SP2.

Blim.......

My wife just got a new Dell and it has SP2 already on it and it came with the McAfee Internet sercurity suite on it and it works just fine.

It is using the McAfee firewall instead of the M$ firewall and everything seems to work good on her box.

Maybe I'll buy a copy for me!!

Hi Jimras,

Thank you so much for the info as I have a Dell, too!! Yes, the Security Suite has worked very well (I think anyways....) My son gets mad at the automatic updates (it slows down his games, he says) but I like that feature. Less maintenance, the better!

So keep an eye on the ads--right now places are offering the Suite free with Tax Software, but after tax season, some places offer the January rebate deal (staples and office max especially) And it runs about $35 at Walmart. Liz