Why You Should Be Worried About Your Privacy On The Web

Why You Should Be Worried About Your Privacy on the Web

How much of your personal information is floating around in cyberspace? Beyond your Social Security number, that is ...

Robert L. Mitchell, Computerworld

"She had me at hello ... or just about. Our conversation had barely started when privacy activist Betty Ostergren interrupted me to say that she had found my full name, address, Social Security number and a digital image of my signature on the Web.

I had set out to discover just how much information I could find about myself online, and Ostergren, who runs the Virginia Watchdog Web site, was my very first call. If this was what could be uncovered in just a few minutes, what else would I find? Quite a bit, as it turns out.

What information is available about you in cyberspace? Where does it come from? What risks does it present and what, if anything, can you do to protect yourself? To answer those questions I decided to use my own identity, Robert L. Mitchell, a national correspondent at Computerworld, as my research subject"

PCWorld for full story - http://tinyurl.com/oyqycw