Symantec Alert--get Patch Now!

I just found this Symantec Alert on the G4 Updates and Alerts Sticky thread.

ZDNet Security News Symantec Flaw

Maybe that was corrected on the second update yesterday? If not, then check manually (not just automatic) for Norton updates on LiveUpdate.

Sounds very critical, so check for updates folks, and stay safe!

God bless everyone.

WOW!!!

Went and checked Live Update.

First scan: 1577.4KB, and asked me to scan again.

Second scan: 262.6KB

Total: 1840

Just what purpose does Automatic Update serve? LOL

I have never liked Automatic Updates.

First, because I am on dialup, so need to have nothing else going on while I do updates.

Second, because I have heard/read of others saying that automatic doesn't include them all. (So since Norton insists that it be set on Automatic, I do, but with manual notification. And by my checking for updates myself when I first get online, and whenever someone else says there was an update, I usually find the updates faster than the Automatic thing notifies me. I really strongly believe finding updates faster is safer in the long run!!!)

Third, I just like to know what is being updated, and from the couple of times I let Automatic do it, I didn't get as much information on it as I do with doing Live Update myself.

So I guess I should mention looking for them manually more often huh?

Also I think it is useful to use the desktop icon to open Norton and check that everything is turned on. I check it everytime before I get on the internet. Since I have had previous trouble with some updates appearing to turn off things, in spite of the task bar icon looking ok, I just feel better to check for myself that it's all on and ok.Sort of peace of mind security. HaHa!!!

Also it takes Norton quite awhile to load completely before you do anything, and by using the desktop icon to open that window you will see if it is all on, if not it requires a reboot, and allow it plenty of time to load and do a recheck that it is all on.

Even though it appears that Norton is "high maintainance", it is worth it to me to be sure it is working correctly and know it is all set up to protect me.

God bless everyone.