and said

trick or treat

i didnt like to scold them so i gave them a couple of bucks

and forgot about

does this teach children to be hustlers

or am i on the wrong track here

thanks for the info

Edited by martymas

If everyone gave a couple of bucks then, maybe, it'd give kids an improper impression. But most people give a piece of candy worth a few cents, so I think the kid's future is safe. :)

It's mostly about dressing up, THEN the candy, and also the comraderie of joining in a community event. For parents it's the "cute" factor, seeing the kids dressed up. Now, for teens, it's all about the loot. :lol:

One year I was unprepared, I had no candy. I poured all my pennies from the penny jar into a large bowl and told the trick-or-treaters to grab a handful of pennies. Boy! The little ones thought they had hit the jackpot! Wow! Pennies! Mom! He's giving away pennies!

What could a little kid grab? Twenty cents? The older kids were another thing altogether ... I had to tell them not to be too greedy (as diplomatically as I could), but they usually show up later in the evening anyway, when all the little ones had already gotten theirs.

the sig in sultans post

the two girls

from tech tv i used to lust over

but it was wishfull thinking

any one know where they are now

by the way any one explain the meaning of halloween

it isnt an

avent here or australia

or any where in the south pacific

last year when i googled it

they said i was popular in the usa

but any where else

it was sparodic

i remember one year two little boys came to my door

and said

trick or treat

i didnt like to scold them so i gave them a couple of bucks

and forgot about

does this teach children to be hustlers

or am i on the wrong track here

thanks for the info

Marty: Read this

Joe

thanks joe

actually i had put it in a catagory

like guy fox

where it is con trick to make parenrs spend their money on the kids

i big biz

way to squeeze money out of the public

but that article is really all about tradition

like guy fox

well you live and learn

marty

thanks joe

actually i had put it in a catagory

like guy fox

where it is con trick to make parenrs spend their money on the kids

i big biz

way to squeeze money out of the public

but that article is really all about tradition

like guy fox

well you live and learn

marty

Then and Now: A Trick or Treat comparison.

When I was a kid back in New York ca. 1960's, my younger sister and I would break records as far as candy collection goes. God help the neighbors if Halloween fell on a weekend! We would start going door to door in our costumes around 8 AM!.... Even if it fell on a weekday, we would start right after school. At the end of the night we'd have enough candy to open up a small confectionery shop. I'm serious! Coming home with 30 pounds of sweets was not unusual. We hit all the houses within our immediate area, probably one square mile.. I'd say that 99% of the people opened the door and had treats to hand out. We of course had our own rating system as to where the best candy was usually obtained. There were some people who gave out things like apples (BORING)......or pennies. They were rated at the bottom. LOL.

Our mother would usually try to confiscate some of the candy when we finally got home and hide it. Her justification was that we would eat it all and get sick. .....After we would find where she hid it, that's exactly what we did. That was just another part of the game.

Fast forward to the present: This past Halloween I went out and bought a measly two bags of candy. I set it up on a table by the front door, turned all the outside lights on indicating that we were home, and waited. Nobody came.

Watching out the window I noticed a few cars that drove up, parked, and the kids got out and went to a few of the neighbor's houses. I was so desperate that I actually stood outside for awhile and tried waving them over to my house. Nope. No takers. They got back in the cars and the adult in the car drove off. I ended up by taking most of the candy over to the house across the street where 3 young girls live. They were so cute when I rang the bell. They still had their costumes on and had apparently just returned from a Halloween party. (That seems to be what most parents do today, take their kids to a safe party). When they opened the door they offered ME candy! I laughed and told them: "No, I brought this over for you." They were happy about that. And so was I. That way, my S.O. and me avoided the five pound weight gain that would have happened if we ate the candy ourselves. LOL.

Edited by irregularjoe